2001 GP: parking brake light & ignition key removal

I've got a couple of problems with an 2001 Grand Prix SE:

(1) The parking light stays on all of the time, even when the brake is not activated. I used to notice this intermittently in the past, but it was always fixed by reapplying the parking brake and releasing it again

-- the light would go off after that. Now it doesn't even do that.

(2) After turning the ignition off, the key doesn't turn all of the way to allow me to pull it out of the keyhole. I have to keep playing with the key until I can get it out, sometimes it just doesn't come out. I think that there is safety mechanism that prevents you from removing the key until you put the car in Park. So I tried taking the transmission out of Park and then putting it back into Park, and it seemed to work that one time. Is this a known problem? I had this fixed before and it came back.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan