2001 Grand Am air conditioner not cooling

My daughter's 2001 Grand Am will not cool. Blower works well, air just is not cold. Please give me some ideas where to start checking. Appreciate the help from you folks out there that pitch in to give people like me direction. Jerry

Reply to
Smurfsdad

Despite the fact that you can buy cans of magic AC fix (that VOID warranties), AC repair is NOT do it yourself. (With the possible exception that the wire to the compressor clutch broke.) GW

Smurfsdad wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

A few questions to start with:

- Is it not cooling at all, or just not enough?

- Is the compressor clutch engaging?

- If it is cooling some, what are the ambient & outlet temps?

- What do the high & low side pressures look like?

We can make some (reasonably) intelligent guesses after that.

Be careful with this stuff. Refrigerant under pressure can hurt you & it is not too hard to do serious damage to the system if you don't know what you are doing with A/C.

Read-up on the subject before you start hooking-up hoses.

Be wary of advice along the lines of "just throw-in a can of R-134a & see what happens" These late model GM VDOT systems have a very small refrigerant capacity & are sensitive to overcharging.

Regards, Al.

Reply to
Al Haunts