2001 grand prix lack of power

i am working on a 2001 grand prix 3.8l (k). we replaced the plugs and wires, misfire went away, but it wont rev past 3500 rpms. loses power. Disconnected cat, no change, replaced module no change. Fuel filter was restricted but has been changes. Fuel pressure ok.

Reply to
rjrcc

try checking the mass air flow sensor. is the service engine light on?

3500 rpms. loses power. Disconnected cat, no change, replaced module no change. Fuel filter was restricted but has been changes. Fuel pressure ok. >
Reply to
Eric Olson

"rjrcc" wrote

3500 rpms. loses power. Disconnected cat, no change, replaced module no change. Fuel filter was restricted but has been changes. Fuel pressure ok.

I hope that you are talking about "won't rev past 3500 rpm under load" as this engine (and others) is governed in a free reving situation.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

but the governor still lets you rev it up to about 5000 or so. at least on mine. i have a 2000 gtp.

Reply to
Eric Olson

It had a random misfire code. It also had a cyl. 2 misfire. We replaced the wire and it went away. It wont go past 3500 rpms under load.

Reply to
rjrcc

"Eric Olson" wrote

I didn't think it was that high. But I haven't taken a close look at the tach while running it up to governed speeds on the 3800. I do know that other engines will not rev past about 3000 rpm in an unloaded state.

Anyway, the point is moot as he mentioned that it's under load. Just wanted to make sure he wasn't chasing his tail for a normal condition.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

did you check your air filter, just a thought,

the wire and it went away.

Reply to
WHO??

rpms. loses power. Disconnected cat, no change, replaced module no change. Fuel filter was restricted but has been changes. Fuel pressure ok.

Suggest you post this to the forums at

as there are a lot of GP experts there that can help you out.

Scott

Reply to
Scott Zabolotzky

If the fuel filter was plugged, perhaps the problem lies in the fuel pump. If the pump is weak or obstructed, you won't have enough flow at high RPM to sustain the motor.

Hope you find the problem,

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Well I have a 99 GTP and I cant get it to rev passed 3500 in park or neutral.

but it does go passed it when I'm driving

99GTP
3500 rpms. loses power. Disconnected cat, no change, replaced module no change. Fuel filter was restricted but has been changes. Fuel pressure ok. >
Reply to
Berge

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville