2002 Grand Am front left clunk

I have a 2002 Grand Am and the front left area clunks when I turn. It's not constant, just one clunk. The cv joint has been changed, both front wheel bearings changed, and both front lower arm control bushings changed and all new. The front left strut was replaced with a used one as well. Hate to take it somewhere because they're guessing what the problem is while they charge me for labor. Can't figure it out. Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

reubyn34

Reply to
reubyn34

Possible bad strut bearing.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

I would guess that a shop couldn't do much worse at guessing then you have. At this point, you've spent a ton of money on unnecessary parts.

I'll take an educated guess, it may be your front stabilizer bushing brackets. We've run into this, and there is a bulletin out about it. I'll paste the relevent part of the bulletin for you and you can do what you like with the info.

Rattle/Creak/Popping Type Noise from Front of Vehicle When Turning (Replace Both Front Stabilizer Shaft Insulator Brackets) #02-03-08-008A - (May 9,

2005) Rattle/Creak/Popping Type Noise from Front of Vehicle When Turning (Replace Both Front Stabilizer Shaft Insulator Brackets) 2002-2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 2002-2004 Oldsmobile Alero 2002-2005 Pontiac Grand Am, Sunfire

with FE1 or FE2 Suspension

This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-03-08-008 (Section 03 - Suspension).

Condition Some customers may comment on a rattle/creak/popping type noise coming from the front of the vehicle when turning the steering wheel. This noise can typically be duplicated with a short drive on uneven road surfaces, then turning the vehicle left or right into a 90 degree turn.

Cause This condition may be caused by the front stabilizer shaft insulator to front suspension crossmember brackets being out of specification. Using the J 39570 Chassis Ear hooked up to each bracket may assist in determining if they are the source of the noise.

Correction Replace both the front stabilizer shaft insulator brackets using the procedure listed below.

Parts Information Part Number Description Qty

22660396 Clamp (Bracket), Front Stabilizer Shaft 2
Reply to
shiden_kai

The strut was replaced already, and it included the module. The thing is, it clunks once when I am moving in which ever direction. So it I start in reverse, turn the wheel to the right....it'll clunk once until I go forward and then clunk again. I could drive in a tight circle and it only clunks once.

Reply to
reubyn34

Reply to
Weird