2002 Grand Prix GTP outisde temp gauge

Hi,

I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. I purchased the car used in March of

2004. I noticed that the outside temperature gauge (location is in the rear-view mirror), is reading on average 4 to 5 degrees higher than the local broadcast or a Thermor wall thermometer. After I presented the dealer with a side by side picture of the two thermometers, the dealer says the car's thermometer can be up to plus or minus 10 degrees out. If that is the case, what good is this gauge?

Has anyone had a similar experience? If so, please let me know.

Thanks,

Nicolaos

Reply to
Analogue Kid

Hi,

I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. I purchased the car used in March of

2004. I noticed that the outside temperature gauge (location is in the rear-view mirror), is reading on average 4 to 5 degrees higher than the local broadcast or a Thermor wall thermometer. After I presented the dealer with a side by side picture of the 2 thermometers, the dealer says the car's thermometer can be up to plus or minus 10 degrees out. If that is the case, what good is this gauge?

Has anyone had a similar experience? If so, please let me know.

Thanks,

Nicolaos

Reply to
Analogue Kid

It's the same as the MPG gauge in some overhead consoles...its there as a gimmick, IMO, not an actual reference. Only Volvo and Toyota, it seems, have a damn good accurate temperature gauge.

Reply to
Mark Keeling

Do you have Onstar on your mirror?? I had a similar thing with my 02 GP GT. It may be on a different zone. The owners manual has a section on how to change the zone. You have to change the zone depending where you live. I think you have to hold down the compass button and select using the same button until it reaches the correct zone. This might solve the temperature problem.

Reply to
Matthew Hodges

Thanks Mark. The family has a few of Oldsmobiles that are close (within 1 degree) to the actual temperatures. Silly me figured that all outside temp guages should perform the same regardless of GM make or model. Thanks for the info. I'll just do the math from here on in.

Reply to
Analogue Kid

Hi Matthew,

Yes the car has Onstar, but there is no subscription. I believe the zone is for the compass. I synchronized the compass as per the instructions several months ago. I believe Mark is right is this case the gauge is just a toy and is not to be considered accurate. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Analogue Kid

you have to remember that the sensor is behind a hot windshield that has been in the sun

Reply to
Nascar24Rulz

Good Point. I saw a 04 GP just the other day, and there's this sunflower-looking black smudge on the glass near the mirror, and a wire running to it...I think that's the outside temp location. Volvo puts the outside sensor under the floor, and keeps a reading of the road temp as well, warning you of potential black ice in the winter.

Reply to
Mark Keeling

so when it reads zero (celsius) you can, what?...freak out and slam on the brakes?!! lol GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

ROFL!!

Reply to
Mark Keeling

hmmmm, 2002 GTP owner here, park in the sun, park in the shade, doesn't seem to matter, the thing reads within about 2 degrees of what I see on temp probes placed in the shade nearby.....in other words, I'm very satisfied with the accuracy of mine.

Reply to
beblount