2002 sunfire Drl problem

I have a 2002 pontiac sunfire GT. When I turn on the car everything seems fine. Then take the car out of park and the DLR's flash and show the service light on the dash. I also have no low beam headlights. High beams work fine. I have replaced all headlights and replaced the DLR relay. Not sure what to do next. Any suggestions?

Reply to
thunderace

My suspicions lie with the vehicle's "Turn Signal/Multifunction" switch on the steering column. From your description it sounds as if the headlights low beam contact in that switch is not closing.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

That is exactly the problem. I had the same thing. Its your switch on the side of the steering column.

Reply to
bdeditch

Thanks, Did you replace it your self or have a dealership replace it. I can't find a service manual for 2002's.

Reply to
thunderace

Document ID# 630545

2002 Pontiac Sunfire

Multifunction, Turn Signal, and Hazard Switch Replacement - On Vehicle Removal Procedure

Caution Before servicing any electrical component, the ignition key must be in the OFF or LOCK position and all electrical loads must be OFF, unless instructed otherwise in these procedures. If a tool or equipment could easily come in contact with a live exposed electrical terminal, also disconnect the negative battery cable. Failure to follow these precautions may cause personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the steering column trim covers. Refer to Steering Column Trim Covers Replacement - On Vehicle .

Remove the retaining screws from the multifunction switch (2). Remove the multifunction switch (2) from the steering column. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the multifunction switch (2).

Installation Procedure

Connect the electrical connectors to the multifunction switch (2). Install the multifunction switch (2) to the steering column while depressing the spring loaded horn pin.

Notice Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the retaining screws to the multifunction switch (2). Tighten Tighten the screws to 4 N·m (36 lb in).

Install the steering column trim covers. Refer to Steering Column Trim Covers Replacement - On Vehicle . Connect the negative battery cable. Ensure that the multifunction switch functions properly.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Thats exactly the way to do it!!!!!!!!

Reply to
bdeditch

All,

Thank you both VERY MUCH!!! I am going to try it tomorrow night,I think? Thanks again guys!

Reply to
thunderace

After changing out the multifunction switch twice, I signed up for Alldata and started troubleshooting with the wiring diagrams. Everything seems great. The only thing we couldn't figure out was the low beam relay in the BCM. I then had a local dealer check out the car and found a bad forward headlamp wiring harness. They wanted $600 and i couldn't see paying that much. They then stated that I would still have the service light. I got into the car and the service light didn't come and the DRL's were working. Now I don't have low beams with the regular headlights. I am going to check the forward harness this week and repair the broken or corroded wire. Let's hope it goes well!! Thanks

Reply to
thunderace

Well, I finally changed the combination Switch twice and that wasn't it. I went to Alldata and got the electrical diagram for the DRL and started trouble shooting. Everything looked great. We troubleshot it down to the BCM. The Low beam relay in the BCM. I took it to the local Dealer and they stated that the Foward headlamp wiring harness is faulty. About $600 to have them fix it. I took it away from them and the DRL is now working, but no low Beams!!!! I am going to tear the front apart and check the harness. Lets hope this will be it!! Thanks again!!

Reply to
thunderace

I'm very sorry my advice led you down a dark trail and cost you time and money.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Not a problem, it was a great idea. This car has been modified by kids and by accidents and I don't rule out anything. The switch took about 20 mins to change out and to figure out it wasn't it. Not that much time or money invested. I took both switchs back to the shops. Talking with mechnic and he said he has replaced three forward harness in the last 2 months. All of the cars have had front end damage. Hopefully I will check it out this weekend and post more. Thanks.

Reply to
thunderace