2003 : Auto Upkeep Figures

$5300 BUCKS??? Thats about what I got in my 98 bonneville.

Btw where you been GW?

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

What kind of friend would charge you $1000 for a fuel pump and two wheel bearings? I was really wondering how you spent so much money on repairs this year. 10 cents a mile for repairs is pretty horrible. You could have driven a brand new car this year for less money (not a brand new bonneville though). Maybe next year you'll do better.

Reply to
Joe

In transit. It took 10 weeks to get my stuff here in Maui. Then an extra few weeks before I had DSL. The Verizon news server was unavailable from dial-up, and I didn't feel like explaining that to the nice fellows who claim to be tech support.

-- GW - Conservational Ergonomist - note incorrect email address Mac OS 8.6, 512MB Ram w/ DSL (despite Verizon's insistance that it wouldn't work without "upgrading my OS"..........idiots!!)

Geoff Welsh

Miles in 2003 (across an 86 GMC S15 Jimmy and 2001 Trans Am)

12,000 (about 6000 miles each.)

Maintenace & Repairs: Jimmy: $450 (balljoints, shocks, etc.) Trans Am: $300 (not including the nitrous kit.) (oil changes, spark plugs.) (my labour is free.)

Fuel: $1400 ($700 each)

Total Mileage: Jimmy: 266,000 km (165,000 miles) - 30,000 km by me. Trans Am: 37,000 km - all by me.

Ray

Reply to
ray

Hmmm well I'll be avoiding verizon then. A person could get ng's back in=20 the o/s stone ages. Geesh... Anyways welcome back.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

I have no idea, actually. :-)

Reply to
James C. Reeves

You sound like my mother in law. For probably the last 10 years that's about all she spent on her 1988 Dodge Aries K-car (the $20-$30 a year like you). This year she needed a lot of stuff done...$800 dollars worth! But she only has about 100,000 miles on it...not 275,000 miles! How many miles on your K car and what has your _average_ cost been over the past 5 years?

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Joe,

What do you mean what kind of friend would charge you $1000 for a fuel pump & 2 wheel bearings?

Don't you realize you can't buy these parts for a mere $20 a piece. I do get a parts discount at the dealership. A friend of mine works in the parts dept.

The fuel pump job I didn't do myself, one of the GM goodwrenches did it on his own time on a Saturday afternoon at the dealership. The guy didn't know what to charge me so I gave him $50 and he was happy. He'd of been happy just getting a case of Bud & some somkes .

The wheel bearing hubs listed for $318.33 each, my cost was $222.83 each.

Total List price was $636.66 for the WB Hubs, my cost was $445.66 + tax $36.77 = $482.43 The fuel pump listed for $143, my cost was $100. The sending unit listed for $347, my cost was $243. The return hose listed for $82 my cost was $61. the high pressure hose listed for $43 my cost was $32 the strainer listed for $18 , my cost was $12 and the fuel filter listed for $16, my cost was $12

The total parts cost at list price adds up to $651. My cost was was $501 for the parts.

I saved $151 there. What's the big deal ? I don't want to spend the money for cheap foreign aftermarket parts.

Joe, your right - I could of driven a brand new car for less than what I spent in repairs on this car. Basically all a new car needs is gas & oil changes - but its going to cost me $35,000 to $40,000 FIRST to get that new car.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~274,504 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Hmmm..I think 2003 was the first year I finally did some high dollar maintenance on my '84 T/A. Spent around $200 for a new rear brake caliper, pads, and front rotors. From 1998-2002 I put around $100 in maintenance. All I ever have to do is change the oil. I can't complain about reliability!

Reply to
Dennis Smith

I think I've spent that in three years for fuel in my '71 T/A!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Reply to
Dennis Smith

That's the worst part of a Trans Am - the tire bill. I made it to just over 20,000 miles on the first set of tires on my new one. I used to barely make it a weekend on my old one on a set of tires.

Reply to
ray