2003 Grand Prix--air leak in tire or rim.

Have had this checked several times but cannot find the leak. It takes about two weeks to see a difference in the tire. I had a different tire put on that rim and the tire went down just like the previous tire. This tells me it is the rim but have been unable to find the leak. Any suggestions. Thank you.

Reply to
jim57

Tire and rim are not the only two possibilities. You also must consider the valve stem and the valve core. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Have the bead of the tire checked for a tear. Some tire installers have been know to tear up the tire bead and not say anything about it.

Over inflate the tire then, lay the tire on each of its sides and put water around the rim & watch it for awhile to check for a foaming of bulbbles.

Check the Valve stem & Core ae GW suggested.

Also keep an eye out the window for a neighborhood joker letting the air out.

Harryface =D8=BF=D8

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 300,778 miles
Reply to
Harry Face

Also check for crud buildup on the bead seat area of the rim. This is especially prevalent in the mag wheels.

Reply to
LandB

Porous rim. They are not solid metal all the way through but are filled with some sort of urethane foam like substance.

Reply to
« Paul =?is

I had a persistent slow leak like that, in a centerline aluminum rim,

took the tire to a tire store, they found rim was leaking, so they put some fix-a-flat in the tire, and aired it up. Couple cycles on the spin balancer to distribute the fix-a-flat, and back on the car.

I sold the car shortly afterwards, but the new owner drove it from arkansas to florida with no tire problems

-- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 1105 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try

for free now!

Reply to
markansas859