2004 Gran Prix

I took a 2004 Gran Prix out on the 24 hour test drive. All in all, the interior of the car was impressive. Had the turbo-charged engine, HUD, Sun-Roof, Nice leather seats, NorthStar System. This car will move when you punch it. Speedometer up to 140 but I've no doubt it would do 160 before the redline at 6000 RPM. But Pontiac has that Governor that prevents you from going faster than the speedometer reads. But I have to tell you. GM has ruined the body appearance of the GP. Looks like they chopped about 6 inches off the trunk and it looks like a Ford Taurus or something. Very disappointed in the appearance. I couldn't trade in my 2000 GP on the 2004. Can't believe Pontiac could screw up a car so much in a couple of years. Just proves the old saying that just because it's newer, it may not be better. But if appearance is not that important to you, the ride, instrument layout, etc., is kick ass. Plus they've finally added a compass, HUD display is readable in the brightest sunlight. And if they had a TV in their, you could watch that too.

RP

Reply to
Rex Pender

The upcoming GTO will make you fill your pants... got to drive my uncle's VR Commodore SS... its effectively a four-door GTO without the 5.7 (its got a sluggish old Holden 308 with EFI) and with a live rear end... about four years previous in the design line.

And that was hell-a fun! :-)

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Trounson

You will, have patience my friend.

*goes to the local GM dealer and runs his hands over a 2003 Monaro CV8* Niiiiice! ;-)

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Trounson

I agree the grandprix was a pretty car up until 2004, the front grill looks plastic, I know it is plastic but the idea is to make the plastic not look like plastic. The back end looks like a Dodge from a few years ago. Like I have said before whoever is in charge of pontiac styling should be fired. The upcoming GTO looks corny in print. The previous Grand Am and Bonneville body styles look better than the current ones do also.

Reply to
Lucipher

Just browsed the Pontiac site to see what all the whining is about: Stop freakin complaining! It's quite an attractive car - I'd much rather own the new GP than *ANYTHING* in its class thats available here from other manufacturers... including GMH's Vectra (Opel rebadged).

It's a slick machine. Be at ease about it.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Trounson

Well you feel a little obligated after you've had their 30.000 dollar car for a day. So I said well I have to see the GTO first and then will get back to you. But I did not get in the back seat since I would normally never buy a sedan anyway. But I did want to see if the general prevailing attitude was that Pontiac screwed the body style of the GP BIG Time!.

PS: Word is the GTO will be selling over sticker and that many purchasers are just in it to make a buck. The chances of even driving one this year are slim since they are all pre-sold here in Dallas.

RP

Reply to
Rex Pender

Does that dealer have a delivery date yet? I'm wondering if I'll ever see one of these things in person. GW

Rex Pender wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

NT, Fix your ffing computer's clock, dude. Your posts all day today show as Saturday and it's Monday here. You're an e-friend but if I have to keep scrolling back back two days to find your brand new posts everyday, I will kill-file you instead.

If it's new and doesn't work, return it and buy an APPLE!! GW

Nick Trouns> > I've got to be one of the only people who think the new GP looks nice.

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

First of all, if I shut down my computer it loses the clock. Like I said, it's got a dead CR2032. No power to keep the clock, no clock. I was away for the weekend, so the computer was off. And I'm sick of fixing the clock. :-P

Secondly, why the hell do you have to scroll through the days? Even though Outlook Express on this machine is set up to show them by send time it ALSO categorizes them by thread, so even though my clock is bust it appears right.

And thirdly, most important: it's not new, it was a donated Cyrix 266+. Beats an old Compaq Pentium100 for sure. And an Apple? Stop smoking that strong opium man! Selling Fieros and recommending Apples... what's next? Drinking cough mixture for kicks?!

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Trounson

Oh, and it's semi-fixed. No voluntary system powerdowns are scheduled for bout four days, and somewhere in that time I'll go into town and get a CMOS battery, Panasonic part CR2032.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Trounson

Why don't you just synch off a time server on startup?

Reply to
NoOne

Your Apple news reader program must suck ass. Even my old moldy news reader program from 1995 on my computer views by thread. NOT date.

I guess thats what you have to deal with owning a Macintrash. No software support....

Reply to
Dennis Smith

Thank you. I can sort by thread too but I have no idea what the thread is until I find it, which required scrolling back for days to find the unread message. (Yes I know reading EVERY post is neurotic but that's me). I still say buy an Apple. Funny how IBM cloners know how to work on their computers, I guess they HAVE TO.

-- GW - Conservational Ergonomist - note incorrect email address "It's good to yell at people and tell them you're from Tennessee. That way you'll be safe." - Gary Busey

Nick Trouns> First of all, if I shut down my computer it loses the clock. Like I said,

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

No moron. I can sort any way I want. Since I read news dozens of times a day, I choose to sort by Date. And I don't use an Apple newsreader, I use Netscape. I could use Outlook express, but Netscape is better.

Now pull that CHEESE outcha mouf. GW

Dennis Smith wrote:

-- GW - Conservational Ergonomist - note incorrect email address "It's good to yell at people and tell them you're from Tennessee. That way you'll be safe." - Gary Busey

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

I didn't until I felt like playing with the inside of my old 386... it has been a fun hobby ever since.

Besides, why would you want an Apple? Inferior expandability for price, and the Motorola processors don't mean they're better - if you want a fast Motorola based machine buy an Amiga.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Trounson

That means more software running - I'm already stressed for power as it is... damned Cyrix. Hehe!

Nick.

wrote

Reply to
Nick Trounson

Netscape is better my arse! Of the computers I've used its always been the Netscape configured ones that are the least stable. Point of example: my uncle's new Athlon XP2200+. He bought it to replace his old Cyrix with the promise of it being stable and fast. It was when he bought it. Then he installed Netscape.

Now it's less stable than a brick balanced on a toothpick.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Trounson

Reply to
Bonnevilles R Kewl

-- GW - Conservational Ergonomist - note incorrect email address "It's good to yell at people and tell them you're from Tennessee. That way you'll be safe." - Gary Busey

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

I own a '97 GTP. I have 106,000 miles and have been pleased with it. In fact, maybe it's time I put plugs in? (My bad). But the darn thing runs great!

I would like to get a 2004, but I'm having trouble with the styling. Don't like the small spoiler (leftover from the defunct Ford Tarus SHO) or the bumps in the trunk by the tail lights. They bloated the front end/grill too much. Kind of like the previous Lincoln Town car. Also, don't care for the dash. What's up with the small rubbery knobs on the climate controls? Lastly, they made the back seats into torture racks.

Styling aside. I have driven several models GT2, GTP, and a GTP Comp G. They have noticeably improved the response and handling. So, I approve of the evolution of the mechanicals. But I'm still on the fence about the styling. Maybe if I see more of them on the road, I'll get used to them. As for the 20hp improvement, I believe it is because Eaton improved the Supercharger design.

One last thing, GM is giving $1500 cash back or 0% financing. That's a sign the GP's aren't moving. When I bought my '97 there were NO incentives for the GP.

Reply to
Greg Buchar