2004 GTO "Out-the-Door" Sale Prices?

I visited my local Pontiac dealer today to talk about the purchase of the 1 GTO that they are due to receive in mid-February. They want $2500 above the MSRP. I keep hearing that this is pretty much the case across all dealerships for the first GTO's. Has anyone on the forum purchased (or know someone who has) a 2004 GTO for MSRP or less?

Reply to
MBoom1664

I only know of one person who was able to purchase at MSRP. The story I heard was he was a lifelong customer of a dealership and 'insisted' on purchasing at MSRP. The dealer was (ashamedly) upset about losing his premium. I personally find it distasteful that he even thought about gouging his longtime loyal customer.

BTW, last I heard there is a dealership in NY that hasn't even had an inquiry, and has one on the way. Maybe someone will get lucky! (alas, not me - I still have 10 more payments on my Yukon!)

Reply to
Joseph Roche

The dealer I got my car at has the GTO marked up $4995 , topping out at $38,895

Good Luck

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~276,100 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

$2500 over isn't bad. I recently stopped in a dealership that had a Chevy SSR in the showroom. Sticker price about $42,0000 dealer markup $35,000. Right..... what idiot is going to buy that?

Jay S

Reply to
Jay S

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Agreed. They had 3 C5's in the showroom, one of them a Z06, and they were all way less than the price of the SSR. Truth be told, the only reason I stopped at a stinkin' chevy dealer was because I was across the street and saw a Shelby Series 1 in the showroom. Now that's a good looking car!

Jay S

Reply to
Jay S

I am not a Ford guy but, the new Stang has it all over the GTO. This new GTO is an embassesment to the marqee. You tell me Pontiac couldn't do better? The darn thing looks like an old Grand prix for crying out loud. Check out the new Mustang right here:

Here is the front end:

Here is the dash:

and interior:

Chysler and Ford are kicking GMs rear end at the moment. Lets hope Pontiac can give us a retro GTO the same way Ford provided the retro Stang. Lets hope the Camaro and Firebird make strong comebacks as well.

Mike

Reply to
mfell2112*NOSPAM*

Mustang GT (stock) Weight: 3660 1/4 Mile: 14.7sec 0-60MPH: 6sec EPA Fuel Econ: 18mpg

GTO (stock) Weight: 3770 1/4 Mile: 13.8 0-60MPH: 5.3sec EPA Fuel Econ: 18mpg

You were saying?

Reply to
98 Camaro

OK so the GTO is a bit faster. That's a good thing. That said an SRT-4 has comparable numbers to the GTO as well and that car sells for $20,000. You want to be seen driving a Neon? I should have said the Stang has it all over the GTO in the looks department. It saddens me that this is all Pontiac could come up with styling wise for the GTO. Hopefully they are restyling the GTO as we speak.

Mike

Reply to
mfell2112*NOSPAM*

Everywhere I go GTO's are at MSRP. Give the dealers a month or two and they will be below MSRP. GTO's aren't selling as well as people thought.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

Your one-dimensional answer didn't appear very clever.

He was saying, obviously, that the GTO may not create a big impact in the marketplace compared to the Mustang. A big part of car marketing is about what people want to be seen in (this doesn't apply to soccer moms, but not everybody is a soccer mom). Some people will want to blabber about how much horsepower they have, some will want to drive fast or race, some will want to look cool, and there are lots of other things people want from a car. That's a personality thing. If you want to look cool, it's tricky business. You can't build coolness into a car. It has to be given by consent of the observers. If old bald fat guys buy up all the GTO's, that could be bad for Pontiac in the future. On the other hand, why would young people get turned on by retro styling? That could backfire as well. Just a stray thought there, let's get back on track.

Here's another issue. Ford will gear up to build and sell 50 Mustangs for every 1 GTO. You can bet on it. During the GTO's peak years, Ford could only sell about 6 or 7 Mustangs for every 1 GTO. So let's just agree that in terms of sales and marketplace excitement, the GTO is not going to convert millions into Pontiac fanatics. More like dozens and hundreds. So now we have two issues. Its looks boring, and there aren't any.

You have to put it in perspective, though. Ford and Chrysler are both pretty desperate, GM is not. Chrysler is the biggest risk-taker and it usually pays off the way they do it. I went to an international auto show last year and honestly, Ford didn't have anything to offer at all. No show cars did they bring. I think making a Lincoln out of the Explorer was the biggest idea they had at the time. Financially the stale products began to kill them, (if you follow the industry you already know this) and they are fighting back. At the Detroit show they came out with guns blazing. All the manufacturers seem poised to put some excitement back into cars (i.e. anything not a truck). That's great, but obviously if Pontiac gets left behind at such a moment, it's dead. If the GTO is the first shot in a war for real improvement at Pontiac, then look for more good things to come. The Solstice, which appears to be the 2nd shot, does look like something. They're hoping for $20,000, which means lots of people could afford it. And, they're killing the Aztek, so that's another good sign. Beauty of the average Pontiac is set to take a huge step up. If the GTO is well-liked, they'll increase production and they'll work on a 2nd GTO, which might be much better looking.

Think about what Pontiac would have to offer to compete with a Mustang:

  1. 4 seats
  2. Available in a convertible
  3. 300 horsepower
  4. Cheap

Basically another Firebird. They have NO PLANS to put together any 3 of these to take on the mustang's 4. Before they do, somebody has to figure out why Firebird sales were so poor. Anybody want to take that one?

ze=big&password=&sort=1&thecat=500>

ssword=&sort=1&size=big&thecat=500>

ssword=&sort=1&size=big&thecat=500>

ssword=&sort=1&size=big&thecat=500>

ssword=&sort=1&size=big&thecat=500>

ze=big&password=&sort=1&thecat=500>

ssword=&sort=1&size=big&thecat=500>

Reply to
Joe

Chevy SSR's sticker over $50,000, don't they? Our local dealer had two, both stickered at 53,000 and priced at $60,000. About two weeks and they were both gone. That is one great vehicle, but I had a restored 53 Chevy truck when I was a teenager, so I'm especially susceptible to the styling.

Reply to
Joe

-snip

Insurance cost and priced to high for targeted market.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

I don't get why the last Firebirds did not sell. They were beautiful. Perhaps GM didn't change them enough over the years. Heck I think the Stang changed three times while the Bird stayed basically the same. That said other then the 2005 Stang the FB looks way better then any Stang made over the last 20 years or so plus IMHO the FBs V8 was much nicer and IIRC it had more power. Pontiac has been taking on the Mustang for decades and for the most part Ford has kicked Pontiacs rear end especially the past five years or so. I would say Pontiac whooped them in the 70s. Trans am sales where huge then. You remember the 74' GTO? Another embarrasment. It was a Chevy Nova with a Trans am hood scoop. I can't see this new GTO selling well. Heck you could get a used Vette for less then this new GTO. We all know which of the two looks better.

Mike

Reply to
mfell2112*NOSPAM*

You are wrong on this front. Soccer moms DO CARE what they are seen in. Hence all the SUVs when a minivan is much more practical.

Reply to
Dave

Depends on the market. Talked to my uncle out in California--LA area--and he said that, the GTOs are selling for above MSRP. However, out here in the boonies, I can get one below MSRP. So, it's another, buyers market.

I'm not sure what Pontiac was thinking when they made the new GTO. Personally, I knew that, they were not going to sell in large numbers. And in terms of the GTO being a Mustang competitor, that's a joke, they are two very different automobiles. One is a high production car, while the other is a low production car. Pontiac is doing well, they just need to continue doing what they do best, which is, "advancing" Chevrolet cars. If Pontiac were smart, they would get rid of all non-cars tomorrow and in truth, they are doing just that.

Pontiac also has to pay attention to how they have been styling and what their style is. The current Grand Am is a good example of Pontiac styling, whereas the Grand Prix, is a poor example of Pontiac styling.

Pontiac can not be afraid to meet Ford head on nor should they be afraid to meet Chevrolet head on. They've done this for years and they've got to keep on doing it.

It's almost 2AM and I better start heading down to Daytona. I've got my Pontiac Racing hat and the Grand Am all warmed up. If you see a GA going 105mph down 95, beep twice or three times for good measure.

Mike

Reply to
Michael

Have fun Mike, keep the rubber side down!

-- markwb

2001 Bonneville SLE

Reply to
markwb

Got mine for MSRP. Dealer management reamed the sales guy for not marking it up 2 or 3 grand after the fact. I was pleased.

By the way, I like the car. Solid performance and handling . It's a blast to drive. Like the interior. No regrets.

Reply to
Budman

Thanks Budman, yours is the first reply to my original posting that addressed the actual question. I too, finally got mine for MSRP. The dealer put on a great show of how I was "lucky" to land such a deal. I turned the tables quickly by asking when they had last sold a GM vehicle for even CLOSE to MSRP!!! I'm now hearing of deals up to $1,000.00 off MSRP. With regard to the "boring" styling....I like it, a true "sleeper" that hopefully, won't be a cop magnet.

Reply to
MBoom1664

I'll tell you what also, if potential buyers could maintain dicipline and refuse to pay the "above MSRP" price, you'd probably see that extra cost disappear over time.

-- markwb

2001 Bonneville SLE

Reply to
markwb