3800 Intake leak

Well I've filled my radiator reservoir tank on my 98 bonnie a month or more ago and after checking it every now and then I've noticed a drop in its level. Sso today I decided now would be a good time to pull of my throttle body to take a look at that EGR pipe and wouldnt ya know it, the intakes leaking... Its not as bad as some but its enough of a leak to keep me from driving it any longer. I'm gonna see about either getting a refurbished upper and lower intake to make replacing mine go a lot quicker or fix the ones I have. During this I'll snap pic's of the process and load them up on a webpage. I got a manual and all but if any of you done this before want to give me any tips on this job let me know.

1998 SE Bonneville 75,000 miles
Reply to
Bonnevilles R Kewl

Sorry, I can't give any tips. I'd be interested in viewing pics though. I've been trying to understand this whole deal with the EGR pipe & the upper intake manifold. My 97 SE had two upper intake gaskets replaced over the course of 110,000 miles. Good luck anyway with the job.

-- markwb

2001 Bonneville SLE 28,000 miles

Reply to
markwb

Well I got the Upper intake off right now. Anyone know what the O.D. and I.D. is for the new egr pipes?

Take a look at here

is from a intake I got off of someone. Pic link 6 should be a lower case "I" in the name "image".

Reply to
Bonnevilles R Kewl

I just go a recall notice from GM. I have the same problem on my 2000 3.8 GP

Tony

Reply to
Tony Kujawa

There was an issue until '98 or '99 that was related to a too wide EGR pipe that degraded the plastic of the upper intake manifold around it due to heat. That was addressed in a TSB and fixed in production cars.

However, there's something else or maybe the same that's causing leaks, though usually not as catastrophic as previously. I was unfortunate enough to get it on my '02 Bonnie at 17000mls... I don't have to say that at 25000mls I'm eager to schedule a visit to the dealer for this recall. ;-)

Reply to
Neo

Well I got my car back together today. I'll upload the pics of what I done to a webpage later on. Right now I need to get out and drive and see if the systems truly going to stay sealed or not. The dang gaskets cost me a 100 bucks... If i had preordered them from somewhere I could of got them for less.

Reply to
Bonnevilles R Kewl

My gaskets ( 4 ) were $25 from the dealer. It begun to leak @ 220,000

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~260,600 miles_~_~~_
Reply to
Harry Face