62-63 Grand Prix engine id

Trying to id what size engine is in a freinds Pontiac Grand Prix. It's a 62 or 63 (can't remember what he told me) It's a V/8 with an auto trans. It has the eight bolt wheels on it. It's been years since I've even looked at one of these. If I remember correctly it was a 389 V/8 but also remember a freind that had another model that had a 421 with three dueces on it. Can someone tell me where the id is on a Pontiac engine and where I can get the id number verified?

Much thanks, George

Reply to
George

If you look through your friends windshield you should be able to get the complete VIN code. There's a ton of information there that's easily decoded by service manuals or online information. Let's say the eighth digit is an "H" the engine could be an "LG4" 5.0 L V8 with a 4BBL carb. Search the engine for your stampings and you're done. The example I used isn't more than likely the engine, I don't keep 40 year old information very handy on my desktop.

Bill

Reply to
BerkshireBill

We were told the engine is not original. Thus the VIN won't tell us what the engine is.. I need to find out where on the engine is the stampings that ID what year, cid, and model this engine came from.. thanks..

Reply to
George

Paul

Reply to