78 Trans Am Pumped Out Lifter Help

I am the original owner of a 1978 Trans-Am, W72 option, auto, garage kept and it has 23,000 original miles on it. I have been so busy this year that I have only taken it out 3 times for a spin. This last time, I had a lifter pump out and tick like crazy. No damage but the lifter ticking is coming & going.

What are my options? Some say just change the oil. Others say change the oil and add a can of Marvel Mystery Oil. Some say add other additives. Others say now that I have to change the lifters.

Anyone have a similar expereince & what did you do?

Thanks!

Reply to
r_hyman

While I haven't personally had this problem I've heard of others having great success with Seafoam

Just follow the directions for putting it in the crank case. Scott

Reply to
Scott Zabolotzky

if the mileage is that low I would either pull the valve covers off and replace the lifter or put in some really good oil and drive it a couple hundred miles to see if the lifter pumps back up then if it is still ticking I would replace the lifters.

Lifters are cheap and so are valve cover gaskets. get a repair manual and a good toque wrench and just fix it.

I would not add crap to an eng>

Reply to
Les Benn

Do you know of some way of pulling the lifters out thru the head without removing the intake and valley cover?

Jay S

Reply to
Jay S

I would go with the Marvel if the engine is clean inside and the lifter hasn't collapsed . If you have sludge it is likely to break some free cause problems. I would expect it is clean but I have to mention that just in case. If that doesn't help try adjusting it. They didn't come adjustable but you can place thin washer under the nut on the rocker arm to adjust it out.

Reply to
Micah