84 PARISIENNE

When i apply the brake on my pontiac there is a slight "clunk" sound that seems to be coming from the left front wheel area, possibly the caliper?? The noise happens about 1 second after i hit the brake pedal. I just replaced the front brakes about a month and a half ago, and this "clunk" just started about a week ago. It only clunks once but it does it everytime i hit the brake. The clip on the one brake pad that holds it in the caliper seemed a little iffy when i put it on but i was told it would be fine so i left it alone. Could that clip possibly have something to do with this? Any other ideas?? Thanks in advance

Reply to
Midget Tosser

Shep

Clips don't exactly hold those pads inside the caliper. The caliper and the steering knuckle do that. It sounds like you have one that's not put in right. On the other hand, you may have a piece of the suspension clunking, like a control arm bushing. That wouldn't be too unusual.

Reply to
Joe

is a control arm bushing the same as a sway arm bushing? My buddy took a look at it and said its a sway arm bushing causing the prob. Im new at this so im just double checking with u guys. thanks again

Reply to
Midget Tosser

Reply to
Shep

i dont wanna be a pain, but where do i find the control arm and what does it look like? Your help is greatly appreciated

Reply to
Midget Tosser

Believe me, it'll be a lot easier to just replace the sway bar bushing. If you can't find the control arm, you won't be replacing the control arm bushing. It gives seasoned mechanics heartburn to replace them. It's extremely difficult.

The 84 Parisienne has the front wheel located by upper and lower control arms, sometimes called "double wishbone" suspension. They're shaped like wishbones. They are hinged on the frame on one end, and the wheel is mounted on the other end, via a ball joint on the end of each wishbone.

I know you're going to ask what a ball joint is, so I will make it really clear. When you steer, it is the ball joints that are pivoting. You can't miss them.

Reply to
Joe

OK, i understand what they are now, i just didnt know thats what they were called. And i also know what the ball joints are. Thanks for the help guys! greatly appreciated

Reply to
Midget Tosser