'87 Bonneville AC problem

AC fan blows cold air, has all fan speeds functioning properly, problem is cold air only discharges from the defrost vents on top of the dash, regardless of where you have the selector set. Occasionally, the cold air will begin to discharge from the floor vents, or the front dash vents, however it is a decreased fan flow, seems to be discharging partially from top defroster vents and front dash vents, and is only temporary, less than a minute. Needless to say, with temps hitting triple digits..... I'm melting!!!!! Any help will be appreciated, e-mail invalid, please reply to group.

TIA Brea

Reply to
Brea

which is often due to a broken or loose vacuum line, or a binding door. GW

Harry Face wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your input, now that I have an idea of what's going on I can take it to the shop and hopefully not be taken advantage of.....

Brea

Reply to
Brea

I fixed my Olds with about $.50 worth of vacuum hose. I had a diapram with plastic hose underneath the front left fender. The plastic hose was brittle and cracked. I replaced it with rubber vacuum hose.

Gary

Reply to
GARY

Been there, done that (but no tee-shirt) with my 1987 Olds 98. Air flow through the defroster vents is the default condition if the vacuum motors in the HVAC system have no vacuum feed.

I'll bet you lunch your problem is the vacuum hose between the pipe from the throttle body and the vacuum storage tank (the square plastic box just above and to the driver's side of the car from the fan motor). Hose is located at the driver's side end of the rear head, next to the vacuum hose feed for the power brakes. That hose may LOOK fine but it has become porous from all the heat it gets from the rear exhaust manifold right beow it. Replace the hose (and replace the ones to the EGR solenoid valve and the power brakes while you're at it - if one hose is cooked, the others probably aren't healthy either).

Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA

"Brea" wrote:

Reply to
William H. Bowen

Bill I think I owe you lunch, with your instruction I managed to find the appropriate vacuum line and replace it myself at a total cost of 30 cents and it works beautifully!!!! Can't begin to guess how much it would have cost me at a shop. All the other lines I came across weren't brittle and cracked so I am assuming they are newer and ok...Thanks so much for your help.

Brea

Reply to
Brea

Thanks Gary, with all the help I received here I was able to repair the problem myself at a cost of 30 cents. You guys are great, thanks for sharing the info.

Brea

Reply to
Brea