88 Firebird - not starting when driven short distances

What would cause the situation where a 1988 Firebird (2.8 litre) will start perfectly when cold or after driven long distances but will not start when driven a few miles. I have to wait about a half hour before it starts again, then it starts perfectly. I try it intermittently during that time so I know that it will not start one minute, then the next it will start right up, usually after about a half hour. It's as though something gets reset after a half hour and this causes the problem to go away. My friend says it sounds like it is not getting any fuel when this occurs. The fuel pump has been replaced since this problem started occuring so I would guess that it is not that. It seems to occur only in warm weather.

Thanks, Tim

Reply to
tbil99

Had a nother model car do this to me. I might be something to with heat in the starter, as it gets older it cat get hotter as it trys to start the car. After replacing the starter on mine it stopped doing this. Though if yours is new. might be something else.

Reply to
ssupermatch

It sounds like the fuel pressure is bleeding down... possibly through a leaky fuel injector or bad fuel pressure regulator? Usually the computer will turn the fuel pump on when you turn on the key, to pressurize the fuel system... but I don't think it will if the engine has been run within a certain number of minutes. You should be able to manually activate the fuel pump by jumping 12v to one of the pins in the ALDL plug under the dash (I think it was pin G on my '88 Chevy truck). If you manually start the pump before you crank the engine, and the problem goes away... then the fuel system is bleeding down too quickly. Otherwise, put a fuel pressure gauge on it while you try to start it and see if it has pressure.

" snipped-for-privacy@nocomment.com" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@q4g2000prc.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
David Courtney