88 Grand Prix Help

I have a 88 Grand Prix with a 2.8 V6, how could I tell if the catalytic converter was getting plugged up? This car has lost power and fuel milage. The manifolds dont turn red at night, but when its running you can hear rattling from that point under the car were the C.C is located.

Reply to
Adam & Lisa

Shep

I just didnt want to take a guess at it and spend the 150-300 whatever its gonna cost without asking someone else.

thanks

Reply to
Adam & Lisa

If you hear rattling from inside the cat, then it is gone. The catalyst has started braking up.

Tom S

Reply to
Tom S

Yeah that is the case here, I hear the rattling when I rev the engine up. I've heard of other ways to deal with it, not replacing it with a new one either, just getting rid of it.

Reply to
Adam & Lisa

My Catalytic converter was around $110 at Quik Stop Muffler Shop in

2001, mine rusted out.

Good Luck

harryface

Reply to
Harry Face

A test pipe would cost me about 10 bucks at autozone and nothing to weld into place, since my state doesnt have emissions testing.

Reply to
Adam & Lisa

Just cut the cat out and get some more power. :)

J/k, I'm sure the envir>A test pipe would cost me about 10 bucks at autozone and nothing to weld

-- Paul Michaels

2000 Yamaha YZF-R6 Fort Lauderdale, Florida My Motorcycle & Travel Pics
Paul Michaels