89 Firebird starts then stalls right out

89 Firebird 6cyl. Stepped on gas at red light (now turned green) and it died. Pushed it parking lot and this is the story: Turn the key and it starts and then stalls right out. Try again, it starts then stalls right out. After 2 or 3 of these it wont even sttempt to start. Wait 5 mintues, try again, same thing again. Have spark, changed coil, cap, rotor and module. Disconnected fuel line and pumped about 10 to 12 oz fo fuel in 15 seconds. The book says it should be 16 oz. IT was hard to measure in a 20 oz container.

Does this sound like a fuel problem or electrical? Thanks Jeff

Reply to
jeff

I'm by far no expert on cars, but it reminds me of my '87 Pontiac 6000, which happens to have a rather sticky TCC solenoid when it gets a bit warm (thanks to a radiator that's not exactly 'brand new' if you know what I mean). The solenoid would bet "stuck" in gear and when you try to go after a stop or are slowing down to a light the car would stall out. Then if you start it, it starts but put it in gear and no way it'll budge. I have to wait about 5 - 10 minutes and also pop the hood and unhook the square blue plug from the engine (the one going from the transmission to the engine) so that it won't re-engage, just so I can get home. If I let the car cool down overnight, it's all well and good (as long as it don't get too hot and stick again, of course). The car is only driven short distances so it doesn't always get time to get too warm, but sometimes a trip to a nearby mall without any "rest breaks" for the car can make it complain.

Limited income so getting the solenoid replaced isn't possible right now (Transmission shops want some $300 - $400 for the part and the job). I make do.

Makes me wonder if that's what's happening to your car. Seeing as how you already changed some of the electrical parts (also did you check/replace spark plugs and wires, and spray some stuff on the electrical system to keep moisture out?)

Another thing I'd check is the gas filter and gas line, fuel pump comes to mind as well.

Sometimes moisture gets into my car so I would have to lay on the gas a bit to keep it running and sloooowly and very gradually let off on the gas a little at a time, until it can run just before it chokes, but still runs, until you can completely get your foot off the gas. Other times I would do the old break-and-gas trick if I really HAD to get going and couldn't wait until the car was fully ready.

Just ideas. I'd be interested in seeing what the actual answer turned out to be.

Reply to
FuzzieDice

This was a while ago, but I wanted to post what we found to be the problem: Fuel pump.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff

Check the MAF. Make sure it is plugged in as well & the breather is sealed all the way to intake. Also did you reset the system? (Disconect battery cable for over a min or so)

Reply to
Micah