90 Bonneville SE Starting problem

I have a Bonneville that does not like to start cold. Typically to get it started at the beginning of the day, I have to hold the ignition for between 5-10 seconds. It doesn't start then. I let off and then try it again. This time it coughs like it's going to start, but doesn't. I let off again. Third time's a charm, and it starts right up. I've had it checked out and everything "looks" good. Any ideas? Thanks.

Reply to
Ben

You need to explain fully to a shop that you want to leave the car overnight and that it's ONLY a cold start problem. Most shops are quite busy and it's easy for a tech to get a work order that says, "won't start" and of course that time it does start, and it's on to the next car. You are more than likely looking at either a no spark condition when cold or a weak spark condition. It's also possible that a temp sensor doesn't know it's cold. All of these take extensive and thorough diagnosis, so be patient. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

What year Bonneville?

If the car turns over and chugs but doesn't start, check the fuel pressure regulator... might be leaking a little. This was happening on my Aurora.

If it's not turning over, and the security light is flashing, could be your Pass-Key (if you've got an ignition key with the resistor in it). Try getting some contact cleaner and cleaning the key/spraying some into the keyhole. Also helps to take all unnecessary keys off my keychain (what I did to fix my problem).

Reply to
Zaphod Beeblebrox

"Zaphod Beeblebrox1" wrote: > In article , > "Ben" < snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net> wrote: > > > I have a Bonneville that does not like to start cold. > > Typically to get it started at the beginning of the day, I > > have to hold the ignition for between 5-10 seconds. It > > doesn't start then. I let off and then try it again. This > > time it coughs like it's going to start, but doesn't. I let > > > off again. Third time's a charm, and it starts right up. > > I've had it checked out and everything "looks" good. Any > > ideas? Thanks. > > What year Bonneville? > > If the car turns over and chugs but doesn't start, check the > fuel > pressure regulator... might be leaking a little. This was > happening on > my Aurora. > > If it's not turning over, and the security light is flashing, > could be > your Pass-Key (if you've got an ignition key with the resistor > in it). > Try getting some contact cleaner and cleaning the key/spraying > some into > the keyhole. Also helps to take all unnecessary keys off my > keychain > (what I did to fix my problem).

fuel pump and fuel filter.

Reply to
bonne

What do you mean, 'hold the ignition'?

When you switch on the ignition (not the starter), you should hear the fuel pump run. If not, there's a relay problem and the car won't start until the starter spins the engine over enough to develop adequate oil pressure.

It

Reply to
Robert Barr