91 Firebird runs HORRIBLY

91, 5.0L H.O., 2bbl TBI, 134K mi., suddenly runs horribly. Starts easily from cold. Idles okay a few seconds, then starts repeatedly surging then nearly stalling in about 3 second interval until stalls completely. Injectors produce nice cone shaped stream, though I would not call it a mist. Watching injectors during this idle mode, while near stalling, injectors produce heavier spray, then lighter during surge. When engine warms up, idles smoothly. Opening throttle, engine will rev okay after brief stall.

When placed in gear, sputters and usually stalls unless I pump gas pedal. Pumping lightly keeps engine running. With Heavy pressure, usually stays running, but barely fires, engine won't rev, and car won't accelerate. Pumping gas lightly but rapidly will get eventual acceleration. When engine gets good and warm, something seems to "click" (figuratively, not audibly) and engine takes off like no problem. Also, sometimes during sputter mode, flooring pedal will sometimes get "click" mentioned above.

ECM gives lean O2 sensor warning only. With ECM open, and measuring O2 sensor amp output, during smooth idle, voltage fluctuates between about

1.8 and 3 volts about once per second. Haven't monitored in rough idle. Checked fuel pressure with engine off and fuel pump relay bypassed at about 4.5 PSI steady. Fuel flow looks reasonable, though I didn't measure it precisely. Intake manifold vacuum is a steady 20 in. Hg during smooth idle.

New plugs last year, though originals looked clean. All vacuume lines okay. Since trouble, have replaced (all original 134K): fuel filter, dist. cap / rotor, O2 sensor, H2O temp sensor, and EGR valve. Nothing has helped at all. Tired of pouring money. Need help. Somebody please?

Smokin Leroy

Reply to
smokinleroy

Have you removed the IAC valve from the TBI unit and made sure the pintle isn't all gummed up? It sounds like your IAC isn't working right.

4.5 PSI fuel pressure seems kinda low. The TBI injection is suppose to have around 13 PSI.
Reply to
Dennis Smith

Doesn't the AIC only control idling? Fuel pump is looking more and more like the culprit to me.

SL

Reply to
smokinleroy

You said the idle surges up and down which usually indicates a dirty IAC valve.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

Maybe you have some bad gas in the tank. Try adding about two bottles of "heet" to the gas tank and see if that makes a difference. It won't hurt the car and it is cheap.

Reply to
deanas2076

I'm not saying the IAC can't be bad, but the problem happens not just during idle. A close relative with extensive automotive training says 4.5 PSI fuel pressure sounds really low.

SL

Reply to
smokinleroy

Already been through a full tank and now half way through another.

Reply to
smokinleroy

Already been through a full tank and now half way through another.

Reply to
smokinleroy

agreed GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

You may have two problems then. 4.5 PSI is very low. Even carburetors run around 6-7 PSI. The TBI setup in your car should run around 13 PSI.

Have fun changing the fuel pump. Its right above the rear axle. You have to disconnect the exhaust and shocks to lower the rear axle down to drop the gas tank. It would have been nice if there was an access hole in the floor above the gas tank under the carpet...

_________________________________________________________________ Dennis Smith -1971 Trans Am - 455 H.O. - M21 4speed - Cameo white/blue stripe- <

> -1973 Trans Am - 455 - TH400 auto - Buccaneer red- -1984 Trans Am - 5.0 L - TH700R4 auto - Royal blue/silver aero- _________________________________________________________________

Reply to
Dennis Smith

There might be residual water in the tank. I'm going through something similar. I have gone through 4 tanks with putting fuel injector cleaner every other tank and an additional 2 tanks with including "heet". The "heet" seems to be helping. It might not fix the problem in your car but it might help to rule out bad gas. I hope that everything works out for you.

Reply to
deanas2076