91 Firebird special key question

Hi, we have a 91 firebird formula that someone tried to steal, so it needs the steering column/ignition replaced. It has that special key with the little chip in it. To fix it can we just replace the steering column, or would we have to take it to a dealer to do something else because of that special key? the technology apparently worked since the theif was unable to start the car, but now we can't either! Thanks! Anne

Reply to
anner123

That chip is just a resistor. There are ten different values. Call a locksmitch and ask if they are familiar with "GM style resistor keys". Then find a shop to replace whatever was damaged by the theft. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Typically the steering column cap or sleeve around the area of the ignition switch is replaced. Along with some of the internal parts that have been pried ot or broken.

In rare cases does the entire column need to be replaced.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~296,339 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Take your title or registration card and phot o ID to any GM dealer. They can make the key up with the resister for you. What the dealer does is look up the VIN for the key cut codes and resister value. Then make the key.

Howeve, they will only do this if the car is present to verify owner shi, or if you have documentation such as the title or registration.

The process is that good they will not cut keys just for anyone walking in with a vin.

Happy holiday!

Reply to
Seppburgh2

Why would he need a new key? The car was stolen, not his keys? GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

The key will have the resistance for that ecu or vats module. Changing the column want change those but a different cylinder will need a new key made with that resistance of the original key.

Early vats resistance values weren't kept.You can get the keys cut but you have to have the resistance from the original key or some kind of code reader to read the value from the ecu.

Reply to
01roll