'92 Bonneville, 230,000 mi., looks good;runs bad....can you help me :)

I've got a '92 Bonneville with 230,000 mi. on it but still looks and runs (ran) pretty good. The problem I'm having is that the car was dying after running about 30 minutes. It didn't set a code and would restart after it cooled off completely, then run for another 30 minutes. Sinse it didn't set a code I figured it was either the ignition module or the crank sensor. Seeing that the ignition module was much easier to replace, I took that route. After I changed it out I restarted the car and it ran fine for about 5 seconds. I checked for codes again and retrieved a code "58"- VATS- fuel pump disable. Could it have anything to do with the changing of the module or did another problem magically appear at the same time? I cleaned the contacts on both the key and the ign. switch but to no avail. I've got the front seat out (I'm 6'5") so I could get under the dash but am hesitant to cut the wires for the VAts to check for resistance (if I find a bad contact or wire in the ignition switch I thought I might splice in a resistor) with the key in the on position until I can get some suggestions from someone with more knowlede than I have about it. I know just about enough to get myself in more trouble :) . Don't know if the module fixed the first problem because the engine won't run long enough. Can someone please give me some help with this as I can't afford to take it to the dealer and need the car pretty bad. Thanks alot for any help I can get......Mike

Reply to
SamIam

The code 58 is a red herring, I think. Based on my experience it appears randomly. My son says it is a known bug in the software. When I actually used the wrong resistance (I cut the wires, etc.) to try to start the car it wouldn't even crank. Spliced the wires back together and it cranked just fine, but I am not getting a spark. According to the owners manual the VATS will disable the starter and fuel pump, so I think that if it is cranking it isn't VATS. Also, once the engine starts the car will keep running even if the resistance changes. Instead of dying the car will keep running but will flash the security light to let you know there is a problem with the VATS system.

Other than that, I can't help you much -- mine isn't running yet, either, and I am not familiar with the ignition system on it.

Reply to
Steve K

i dont think crank sensor give a code, but will cause what your describing.is it losing the spark when she dies??

ds549