92 GA idle problem ??

My in-laws 92 GA (V6/auto) has cold start idle problems. It wants to stumble and die, or rev to 2grand when cold. also stumbles when trying to accelerate at hi-way speeds. No codes are showing up. He cleaned the TB with carb cleaner and it helped a little. I know that Fords need to have the IAC valve cleaned, but there are some dangers with the method and type of cleaners used on the Ford IAC. Does the GM IAC need similar cleaning, and are there any dangers or warnings about the procedure and cleaners used? Any other ideas what the problem could be.? VAcuum leak maybe, or is there a TV cable/linkage that needs adjusting for the hi-way issue? I'm just guessing here, since most of my experience has been with newer Fords. This guy is old-school, and a little nervous about 'new crap'. He's also a long way away, but I said i'd try to help out. Thanks.

Reply to
Loodsir2

Do the usual: Take these parts off the car and clean & check them: IAC, MAT/MAF, PCV, throttle body. Check the TPS. Look for vac leaks. There is a known problem with the gear selector light switch on these vehicles sending the correct signal to the ECU: Take the Gear SLS out of the car and solder up all solder joints on the pc board.

Reply to
« Paul »

I have a 93 that hardly gets used anymore (1000 miles a year or so), after it sits for a month the battery is down and it gets the same sort of idling problem you have. If I hook up a battery charger and top off the battery before using the car it runs fine. I'm guessing that the alternator doesn't have enough juice to charge the battery from near dead and power the plugs as well. Try hooking up a battery charger to the car and for 8 hours or so and see if it runs better then. It could be that the battery is about to fail and is dragging the alternator down too low to run effectively.

Reply to
john graesser