92 Grand Am 3.3L 3300

Real problem driving me crazy... I think I have shorted out something, but can't find it...

At first when I turned my headlights on, the stereo (cd player), and the heater would shut off... only once in awhile.

So I thought I could deal with it until it started happening more, so I thought it might be the stereo and removed it totally, cleaned up the wiring behind it and everything started working again (minus the stereo). That worked for a couple of days, then the headlights wouldn't come on after dark (I truly started to believe it was possessed)

Now it is a tossup 1) either the headlights work for a little bit, turn on while driving or don't come on at all 2) the heater only works in "low-med" if you put it on "high" it completely shuts it off. I still have the stereo removed until i find the problem.

I have been searching for any wires that I can get at to see if everything is connected and to make sure that nothing is cut. I have checked the fuses everything is ok there, I am wondering if a wire was crossed when installing the stereo (I didn't install it) but I am at a loss and don't know what to search for or what I could be doing to make the problem go away.

Currently I am driving in the daytime, avoiding the night and freezing... yesterday was -42 with the windchill

If someone could point me in the right direction i will greatly appreciate it.

Reply to
xbluexoxeyesx

A bad ground connection can cause havoc with electrical systems.

Reply to
80 Knight

Do you mean the ground connection at the battery? How can I check to see if it is bad?

Reply to
xbluexoxeyesx

I agree with 80Kinght. Could be bad ground. Could be simultaneous problems, too. Check your head light ground. I don't know where it is at even tho I have the same car. Probably near the headlights. The heater problem may or may not be related. High goes thru a blower hi-speed relay on the firewall. Other speeds go thru the resistor below the relay pack.

Reply to
« Paul »

Take a jumper cable, and make a block to chassis ground. Does that solve the problems? Then you know the cause. (a bad chassis to block ground) GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh