92 Grand AM SE.ABS light on continually.TCS sol bad:-(

My car exhibits the bad TCS or TCC solenoid symptoms. Run x miles. Get motor 'hot'. Try and pull out from a standing stop. BLUB! Youre not goin' anywhere. The real question I have to ask is, replacement of the TCS solenoid in a 125c...is it herculean or relatively easy? I do most if not all of my own automotive work. I have to consult my HELM manual(s) later, but is it a matter of removing pan/gasket and then 'staring at' the TCS solenoid for replacement ? Or is this some bear that is hiding behind a valve body, etc?

Personal replies welcome kctobyjoe at epix dot net and above email addy

Reply to
tobyjoe

Are you saying that you have a 2.3L Quad Four in your machine? If so the TCC solenoid is located behind the valve body cover. For me this wasn't too difficult a job. The one thing that made the job a little troublesome was being able to remove the valve body cover once all the bolts were out. Had to drop down the driver's side "suspension support beam," to get the cover out, but that was a relatively minor inconvenience.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

It's fairly easy. You need to remove the side pan and it's right there. Cut the old wires, remove the old solenoid, splice in the new one and install. I think there may have been a steel ball in the hole but I don't remember for sure.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

That doesnt sound too bad. I spent time last nite looking at my 3 vol HELM manual on that. Book 1 had lots of nice exploded views! Sry I shoulda said which motor. Since I will replace THAT, I'll do the same to the trans pan gasket & filter. My only concern was a clearance issue.

The splices dont need to be heat shrunk ?

kc and thankx for taking the time

Reply to
tobyjoe

The new solenoid that I installed came with some nifty wire connectors of a type I had never seen before. No need for heat shrink, tape or anything else.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

GREAT! I think! The only (-) here beyond time spent, is that valve cover gasket... Its not an on-the-shelf part. I have to call GM now and see if they have one on the shelf. (DEALER PART!!!!!!!!!!!) I find it VERY odd that parts for this motor/trans are not so plentiful, UNLESS most are in the boneyard. I fully recognize these units would be 10 years +, but I know and see that many are still truckin along the highway.

Reply to
tobyjoe

The side pan gasket will often come with the new solenoid valve. If not, then it's like you said: dealer only.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul