92 Grand Am Starts and wont stay running

Hi;

I have a 92 Grand Am that starts right up during cranking. As soon as I allow the key to move to the run position, it stalls out. It will only run in the cranking oosition.

It is very simular to the electric ballast going out on old cars with points. Any idea what I should check?

Thanks Pat

Reply to
komobu

Ignition switch???

Reply to
PauL

Reply to
D Ford

If it's like my '88 Chevy pick-up... the "computer" turns on the fuel pump during cranking, but gives control to the oil pressure switch once you release the key and the engine is running. There should be a terminal in the diagnostic plug under the dash where you can manually turn the fuel pump on by jumping twelve volts from the cigarette lighter or fuse block. If the car runs with the pump manually activated... I would look for a bad oil pressure switch. It was terminal "G" on my truck... the lower, left hole in the ALDL plug (find out from someone else if your is the same).

"komobu" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
David Courtney