'92 Grand Prix Stalling

My '92 Grand Prix LE (V6 3.1L) has started stalling on me in that past couple of weeks. Turns out I also changed a dead battery around that same time.

Car starts fine. But no matter how long I let it warm up, often, it will stall as soon as I put it in Drive or Reverse and press on the gas pedal. It starts right back fine but might stall again as soon I try to drive away.

The engine does seem to sputter at times and on occasion, it smells rotten eggs (clogged converter?)

I looked to see if i had a vaccum leak or a disconnected sensor/wire but don't see anything out of place. Any suggestions?

TIA

Reply to
Lukus

If possible, you can unbolt your converter from the exhaust and try to swing the exhaust out of the way enough to let the converter flow, and see what happens. Be sure to grab some ear plugs :O)

Reply to
GT Grand Prix 00

Do you mean to disconnect the converter from the exhaust pipe as to bypass it?

Reply to
Lukus

The car looses the information that it needs to idle correctly when the battery is disconnected. The factory manual for it says that a scan tool needs to be used to set the idle. They call it an "Idle learn procedure".

It has been my experience that the car will idle poorly for the first few times the car is driven after the battery has been disconnected. The car should learn the idle information on its own.

Try this: When the engine is cold, disconnect the battery for a few minutes. Drive the car until it gets fully warmed up. Do some stop and go driving so it can idle. It may take a few cold hot cycles to learn to idle properly.

Let me know how it works.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

I just saw your reply today, but since my posting, I replaced the fuel filter. It stalled once or twice on me right after and hasn't since. However, it still hesitates on some stop and go. I also find the acceleration isn't what just a couple of weeks ago. So the fuel filter might have been one problem but I feel there's still something wrong. I couldn't find a disconnect air line anywhere.

Reply to
Lukus

A disconnect air line?

Reply to