92 trans sport gearbox problem

The last week the signal light of the gear box lights up in the morning,when the engine is still cold. At the same moment the lights turns on, the gearbox shifts down one gear. In my manual (I'm from the Netherlands) no description is given. Secondly, the grearbox does not shift into overdrive anymore. Very rarely, it does. The car has a milage of 400.000 km and the engine is still in good shape.

Ad Huigen

Reply to
ad huigen

I'm not sure what the "gear Box" light is.. Here in the states, there's nothing like that ( that I know of ) But my Transport had trouble with the torque converter clutch, which caused it to engage and disengage at the most inopertune moments. ( in case you don't know, that often feels like an up / downshift, but actually it's just the torque converter locking or unlocking ) Just a thought...

Cheers, Rich...

Reply to
RGuess

Had a 93, had to change the trans fluid every 15K miles. If I let it go to 20K, noticed a BIG difference until it was changed. The owners manual called for it. Was equiped with the 3800 V-6.

Don't recall having a "gear box light". But, this maybe the Overdrive Off indiator. Family now has a 2001 Ford Windstar for which we tranded the TranSport for in 2001 after 130K miles. When the Ford ate the transmission at 60K, the Overdrive off light was the indicator of a problem.

Good luck, let us know what happens. I miss the kick that 3800 V-6, use to get rubber in third gear! (When wife wasn't around that is)

Reply to
brxsep