93 Grand Am SE needs directional switch repaired..Help please...

My 93 pontiac grand am does not have brake lights or turn signals that work. We've replaced bulbs, replaced the brake switch on the floor...Now someone tells me that there is a control switch in the Steering column?? Has anyone ever changed one of these? What is involved?? Is it difficult to do? Does the steering wheel need to come

off? Any diagrams, stories or hints and help will be much appreciated!

Reply to
Brenda

Yes, there is a turn signal switch in the column. The wheel will have to come off. The column covers will have to come off. Its actually pretty easy - unless you have air bags and tilt wheel.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Take the steering wheel off?? Are you sure?? When I have changed turn signal switches in other Pontiacs - admittedly older models - I have been able to remove and re-install the column covers without messing with the wheel. Then it was just a matter of removing a few (2 or 4) screws holding the switch around the column and unplugging the wiring harness.

Tom S.

Reply to
Tom S

I have a 92 G/A and have repaired my t/s switch several times with superg= lue and/or melting the broken plastic back together with a soldering iron. L= ast time I worked on it I superglued bits of a beer can to the plastic as reinforc= ement. =

That was 3 years ago. It was better than spending $98. While it may be possible to R&R the switch without removing the wheel, it would be rather difficult... and time consuming.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul