93 Grand Prix Automatic Door Lock

All righty, I have a 93 Grand Prix Coupe and whenever I put it into gear the doors lock. Is there any way to stop it from doing that or to unlock them when the car is put into park ?

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

"Phillip Schmid" wrote

Have you checked the owners manual? Often there are

2-3 different door lock programs that you can choose between. I don't remember being able to change the programming in 93, but it's possible...I don't do much trim type work. It may also be necessary to program it with a scan tool (again, if it's even possible)

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I'd say from a ruffian point of view its possible you could kill the input from the shifter and/or VSS into the control module responsible for your door locks... body control module I guess?

If you prevent the module sensing transmission shifter change or speed change, you should be able to prevent it locking in such cases.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Trounson

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Not sure about the 5 mph thing. But for the to "prevent the module sensing transmission shifter change or speed change" part I wouldn't know where to begin, and knowing me if I try to find where to begin I'll break something else.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

My 94 Sunbird does that too. The only way around that is to pull the fusefor the door locks. One small problem with that though, you may also loose the interior lights and/or other accessories.

Reply to
Ray

Guess I'm going to have to get used to it.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

That would be interesting to see . .. Harry airborne ..

But no really, I also have the door mounted seat belts. What were they thinking? Even though the doors might lock automatically, they can still get pulled off (dunno how, and no, I don't want to test it). My car doesn't have auto locks anyway (the wifes does, but the belts are mounted on the door jam thingy)

Reply to
clevere

I read the other post, I think I'll leave it alone till I'm done driving. I don't have the urge to go flying.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

That's a good idea, I guess. Kind of like being secured to the car post and not the door, but that's all right.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

Cleeve

Actually I think the idea of the seat belt on the door was to get people to leave the belt buckled all the time. When you enter & exit the car you would slide out from under the belt which more folks found out tended to grab you & your clothes and presented a problem, especially for bigger people.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~266,800 miles_~_~~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Reply to
Geoff Welsh