93 Grand Prix water pump problems

for the last two years i have had to continually replace my water pump about every three months.. i was wondering if anyone here may have an explanation as to why the pump goes out all the time... thanks.

Reply to
Sam

Autozone.

Reply to
SSTEIN2

What's Autozone gonna do for me?

Reply to
Sam

what are these pumps doing to need replacing? are these pumps new or reman?

Reply to
DA .

Are you using the correct coolant?

Reply to
abomb6900

Are you buying Yakomoto parts to save $$$?

What is wearing out? The seal? Is is leaking?

The bearing? Is it growling?

Is your serpentine belt to tight ?

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~283,783 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

i'm not sure what brand they've been.. do you have any recommendations?

I believe it's the bearings.. the pumps always seem to go out "all at once".. it doesn't leak anything until it goes out, then it sprays coolant all over the inside of the hood.. I've never noticed any noise before a pump breaks and i'm usually pretty observant of any noises my engine makes.

is there a simple way of telling whether it's too tight?

Reply to
Sam

they'll just start spraying coolant all over the inside of the hood and the low coolant light comes on..

the first couple were remanufactured.. the rest have been new, all under warranty.... thankfully!

Reply to
Sam

what kind of coolant should i be using for this engine?

Reply to
Sam

are you 100% sure the spray is coming from the pump? I highly recommend AC Delco, find a parts store that sells them, they will probably be cheaper than a dealer. the green antifreeze should work just fine for you. the tensioner dictates the tightness of the belt providing the belt is routed correctly.

why was the pump changed the first time? same problem or did this start after it was changed?

Reply to
DA .

Yes, it's definitely coming from the pump.

thanks for the recommendations.. I have been using the green antifreeze, is there a difference between the different green antifreezes? or are they pretty much all the same?

It was replaced the first time for the same problem

Reply to
Sam

antifreeze is antifreeze

Reply to
DA .

Try a new AC Delco pump. Some auto parts stoes do sell them.

A 3800 water pump listed for $111.16 at the dealer in August of 2003. My buddys price ( for me ) was $77

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~283,783 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Twice after changing the coolant on my 82 Cutlass the water pump failed right away. I decided what caused it was after draining the old coolant I would fill it with just water and run it for a while thinking this would help clean the system. I figure what happened is since there was no lubricant from the antifreeze, the seal was damaged.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

Scott wrote;

Twice after changing the coolant on my 82 Cutlass the water pump failed right away. I decided what caused it was after draining the old coolant I would fill it with just water and run it for a while thinking this would help clean the system. I figure what happened is since there was no lubricant from the antifreeze, the seal was damaged.

running straight water would have no affect on the seal.

Reply to
DA .

catalog show no 3.8 in a 93 GP, either 3.1 or 3.4. both use the same pump, around $40 for a Delco, walk in customer

Reply to
DA .