93 Pontiac Bonneville, ignition switch questions.

I bypassed the ignition key resistor in our 93 Pontiac Bonneville with the closest resistor I could find. Put it all back together and things worked fine.

Daughter lost key so I had a standard GM key blank, B-48 , copied. The key goes in but the lock does not turn. To my eye the copied key looks perfect.

Question, does the resistor contacts in the proper ignition key also have something to do with allowing the ignition lock to turn or did the spare key I have made look good but was not close enough.

Thank you for any help with this problem, I don't want to spent the 40 or more dollars for the proper spare key if I don't have to.

Reply to
andy everett

How was the key copied? Most key copy places just copy the old key, defects, wear, and all. Find a locksmith that can cut a new key by correctly figuring out the original cut depths. Some dealers can do that.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

when you copy a worn out key all you have is a new worn out key. the locksmith I use can just look at the old key and determine the cuts. not sure GM can furnish the code for 93, call any GM dealer and see. we charged $27 for cutting a VATS key if we had to call GM for the code. the VATS chip has nothing to do with turning the cylinder

Reply to
DA .