'93 Pontiac Sunbird Fuel Consumption & Other woes

January '05 I picked up a '93 Sunbird 2.0 MFI with 128,000km on it that just had the head gasket replaced and a new set of head bolts. The original owner could not afford the repair....So I scooped it up for $1500.

The only issue I had come across when I first started driving the car was that the transmission seemed to be a little sluggish to respond however doing a bit of research has shown me that most Sunbirds in this era have the same performance. Aside from that car seemed to be fine.

Now I'm wondering about a few things - Namely fuel consumption, heater blower output and wet carpets!

Perhaps I am wrong but I would have thought that a 2.0l car in good running condition would offer me better mileage than what I am getting. Plugs are Bosch Iridium (Awesome deal from a co-worker so I couldnt pass them up), Air & Fuel Filter are in good shape. All vacuum lines are in good shape - Car travels on the highway each day back and forth to work for an average of about ~80 km round trip at a cost of about $8.00 Im just wondering if there are other Sunbird owners who could tell me what their consumption figures are for highway and city driving - Or if there are perhaps other things I should look at behind the scenes that may affect mileage.

The heater is a weird - The fan is really chugging away on high but there is barely anything coming out of the vents regardless of the position - Def, Heater, vents - Is their a filter or something that gets gummed up with crap?

Finally - I have noticed that although there are no holes in the floor or body of the car the carpet under the passenger seat gets damp, especially when it rains - So Im curious to know where the water might be coming from - I have checked and it is not coolant from the heater core - has anyone else come across a similar scenario and know whay this happens?

Thanks to everyone! Jason.

Reply to
Jason_G

I've got a 91 sunbird with a 2.0 auto that gets great mileage 35 -40 mpg {canadian gallon} and I think very snappy performance. heater fan blows good on this one. I have the same problem with water in the passenger side and I can't figure out where it comes from either. looks like my fuel pump quit now.

Reply to
cooterr

Hi - Yeah I still havent figured out the water issue - it is snowing up here now and the roads are getting slushy so I would really like to figure this one out if the water is in fact coming in through the floor.

Reply to
Jason_G