94 GA Runs rough after filling up

Ran my tank pretty low today, (fuel light came on) filled it up at gas station and got a few blocks away and it started hesitating. Stopped the car, restarted it and it did it again. Got on the highway and it really took some coaxing to get it up to speed, felt like the engine was fluttering. I got off the highway and pulled to a stop, put it in Park, revved it up and it sputters when I rev it up.

Do you think I might have just got a piece of junk from the bottom of the tank, or something else? Lifted the hood, no signs of anything wrong from looking around, looked under the car, so signs of anything leaking/dripping, and there aren't any odd smells.

94 Grand Am 135,000 miles

Thank you,

-Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Sounds like your fuel pump is acting up. You should try to avoid running the fuel that low because I was told the the pump inside the tank is cooled by the fuel so when you let it run low the pump heats up. Over time this is the most common fuel pump failure.

Could try changing your fuel filters first and dump so injector cleaner in.

Luke

Reply to
Luke

It is most likely unrelated that the car began running rough after you bought gas. That being said, there are endless possibilities for the question, "Why does my car run rough?" Start with a tune-up. If that doen't help you will need to check things like fuel pressure, firing voltages, vacuum readings, etc

-- GW - note incorrect email address "It's good to yell at people and tell them you're from Tennessee. That way you'll be safe." - Gary Busey

Jeff wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the ideas. I guess I got kinda nervous and just figured I'd post the ? to get some different view points on this. Last night I got home and put a new fuel filter on and it runs like a champ now.

Once again, thank you very much for your help!

-Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

CRACKED HEAD....it started acting up again, brought it to Chevrolet and it has antifreeze in the one of the cylinders, #2 or #3...I forgot after they told me what it would cost...$3,000

Sucks!

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

That stinks. You may want to shop around with that. I'm sure you could get it done cheaper, but obviously, someone you trust. I decided if mine ever goes on my '95, and the car is still in good shape like now, I'll just have the shop I take it to rebuild the whole thing. Once you get all the way down to the head coming off, it's only just a little further and you might as well pull it all out.

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.