94 Grand Prix Door Handles

Hi, lemme fill ya in on my problem here.

Ok, In the winter 2 of the door handles actually broke. They're both on the passenger side, and they are still attached to the door but only by the left side.

I was wondering how do i take the actual handles off without destroying them so I can see if I can weld new ones up.

Thank you for your time. Icy_Lance

Reply to
Icy_Lance

There are 2 bolts on each handle on the inside of the door (you have to remove the interior door pad, one bolt is hehind a small rubber piece near the edge of the door) that when you take the off, the handle comes off. As for welding them, I wouldn't bother trying. I found the easiest way was to go to a scrap yard and get a couple new handles, as I had the same problem with my '91 Grand Prix. The handles are actually easy to find as they were used in many GM cars like Corsica's and Lumina's. Regals too, I believe.

Reply to
80 Knight

Could not find any at the yards. Seems that mine were not the first to break. Found on ebay new and cheap.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

Hmm, not bad. I never thought of ebay. I did try the dealer and they wanted over $50 Canadian per handle. How was the task of getting yours in? I had one hell of a time getting the handles to work properly. First the drivers door broke, so I got a new handle took it in and got the dealer to put the handle in. They only charged me $20, which went directly to the person who did the work, so I didn't have a problem with that, but later that night I went to open the door and the rod inside attached to the handle had knocked itself off. I spent about 2 months in the Ontario, Canada winter with the driver's window down all the time so I could still open the door from the inside lol Anyhow, I managed to figure out what I was doing wrong and got it all fixed up. I had to order a couple of new rods for the handle's as well, but they were only $8 or so, so that wasn't bad at all. It's a cheap fix, if you have the patients to do it yourself. :)

Reply to
80 Knight

I have a 93 Grand Prix. Both sides have broken twice for me. As a matter of fact, my drivers side just broke two days ago. These handles are becoming a pain in the arse. Needless to say, I can have the door handled swapped out in about 15 minutes. This crap usually happens in the winter for me.

You shouldn't really have any problems installing.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Sobieralski via CarKB.com