'94 Pontriac Grand Prix 3.4L 6 Cyl xmiss and break problems

This is my daughter-in-law's mother's car. Lady is a single mom and has to drive long distance to/from several jobs so money is a problem.

I'm dealing with third hand information: I've not driven the car as I'm 1200 miles away. Be home soon but would like to get input to think about on the return trip.

The car is parked except when it's driven in a protected area for testing.

There are two problems (that I know about at this time):

First car occasionally loses break peddle. Not always and gradually. There are no obvious leaks. Not sure but I think the parking break works.

Second the car will not make speed. Engine revs but not much acceleration. Reports suggest that the clutch may be slipping. Problem has developed over the past month but only reported this weekend. Right now top speed in ~ 35 mph on level does not do hills at all.

My questions:

1) Any input on what may be the problem with the breaks? How to diagnose and fix?

2) What's the protocol for diagnosing the transmission problem.

3) Are there any $ saving options to get this back on the road?

My training is aircraft so I'm a bit of a loss on any expertise with transmissions.

Please post on ng or direct to

brother_rabbit*@*hotmail.com (remove * * to respond)

Regards and Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Not Me
1994 Grand Prix 3.4L 6 cyl auto transmission with AC

[...]

BR

[...]

Brakes- Completely bleed, and replace pads. Possibly have the ABS system automatically bled. My car did this, and it turned out it needed some new fluid (I suppose 10 years is to long for brake fluid)

acceleration.

Reply to
clevere

If she doesn't have any money the transmission is going to be a problem. Don't spend any money on the brakes until you get past the financial decision on the transmission; If they've been driving it wide open slipping at 35 mph, the clutches are probably destroyed. I'm assuming this is an automatic, as I don't even remember when they quit making 5-speeds or whether they made any 3.4 5-speeds. You can check the transmission fluid; if it's low you might try filling it up and changing the filter, but don't get your hopes up.

If this is the case, you can call a transmission shop and just ask them, "what will it cost to overhaul this transmission?" They will tell you. You might want to call 5 or 6.

acceleration.

Reply to
Joe

Thanks to all who responded. The transmission is toast and the car not worth fixing. (no surprise here) We now have a parts car located in WNC near Hickory if anyone is interested.

We're also looking for reliable replacement in the $2-3K range.

Again Thanks to all who responded on groups and back channel.

| 1994 Grand Prix 3.4L 6 cyl auto transmission with AC | | This is my daughter-in-law's mother's car. Lady is a single mom and has to | drive long distance to/from several jobs so money is a problem. | | I'm dealing with third hand information: I've not driven the car as I'm

1200 | miles away. Be home soon but would like to get input to think about on the | return trip. | | The car is parked except when it's driven in a protected area for testing. | | There are two problems (that I know about at this time): | | First car occasionally loses break peddle. Not always and gradually. There | are no obvious leaks. Not sure but I think the parking break works. | | Second the car will not make speed. Engine revs but not much acceleration. | Reports suggest that the clutch may be slipping. Problem has developed over | the past month but only reported this weekend. Right now top speed in ~ 35 | mph on level does not do hills at all. | | My questions: | | 1) Any input on what may be the problem with the breaks? How to diagnose | and fix? | | 2) What's the protocol for diagnosing the transmission problem. | | 3) Are there any $ saving options to get this back on the road? | | My training is aircraft so I'm a bit of a loss on any expertise with | transmissions. | | Please post on ng or direct to | | brother_rabbit(@)hotmail.com (remove ( ) to respond) | | Regards and Thanks in advance. | | BR | | | |
Reply to
Not Me