95 Grand Am- Electrical Problem? I'm stumped

Ok, got a problem with my 95 Grand AM GT (3.1 L V6) and my mechanic and I are completely stumped. When I'm driving it the oil pressure gauge is fairly low, and often while stopped (stop sign/light) the "check gauges" light goes on and the oil pressure reading goes down to the red. The check engine light and oil light do NOT go on. I don't notice any immediate difference in the idle (the engine hums, sounds great). After a while, and sometimes right at the beginning of my trip, when it does this the engine will just kill (battery light goes on, I have to restart). Again, there is no engine knocking or noise when this happens.

My mechanic checked the oil pressure using a manual gauge and says it's A-OK. He replaced the switch (I believe that's what it's called) and it made no difference. Also, just to be sure, he checked the battery and alternator and those are fine as well.

At this point, we're wondering if it's an electrical problem?!?, but I don't really want to pay a ton of money to have it checked if it's something else. Has anyone seen this or have any other ideas? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Jamie Herbst

I'd be concerned with the sender (this controls the gauge) not the switch (which controls the oil lamp).

The engine may not be running fast enough to provide proper oil pressure. (Hence the stalling - engine not running fast enough).

There have been problems with some of the clusters.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I can attest to the aforementioned "there is a switch and a sending unit"; on my 1990 'vette, at least, there are both items; one for "go-no-go" pressure to, I guess, run the engine, one for "oil pressure", presumably the gauge only. Make sure yourself of which one your mechanic changed, visually verify the replacement, and have them (or do it yourself) replace the other item (it should be a 10 or 20 dollar part, so what the heck?) to be sure.

HTH

--HC

Reply to
hboothe