'95 Grand Prix not charging

Ok folks, this is my last resort...

Over the last few weeks, my Grand Prix (3.4 DOHC) has only been charging intermittently. I have replaced the battery, serpentine belt and tensioner and I have put a reman. alternator (what a silly place to put it!) and it is not fixed, and I am running out of ideas to the problem.

It seems that the alternator when it is charging gives about 13.25-13.5 volts which doesn't sound like enough, when it's not charging, well, at that point it's just a matter of time before bad things happen.

My questions are...

Is the voltage regulator in the alternator or a separate if separate what is the likelyhood of it being bad?

Is there anything else that could be causing this at all? or am I going to be doing another alternator swap out this weekend?

Are there any tests I can do to try and narrow down the problem?

Any suggestions are gratefully received, I really enjoy driving this car...

Anthony

Reply to
Anthony Toft

Normally the Starter shorting out does this type of thing or the horn. These two accessories draw the most current of anything else in a car. Do A current draw test on the starter. Most auto parts shops will do it for free.

Reply to
Les Benn

It's in the alt.

Look for a voltage drop somewhere. The voltage you test/probe should be the same whether testing across the batt-pos, the alt-pos, the batt-neg, or alt-case, or engine block (neg).

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh