'95 grandprix GT aircon question

I am hoping someone has had this problem...

I finaly got tired of being hot and topped off the refrigerant in my AC. I know it has a slow leak (about one can every 4-6 months) and I couldn't be bothered earlier.

Anyways the short story is that although the refrigerant level is full or close to (80 psi on both sides) the compressor won't run. I pulled the relay out of the passenger side box and "hotwired" the compressor and it ran (giving about 55 and 250 psi). I tested the volts at the relay and they where _all_ 0v. Ultimatly I replaced the relay as it came apart when I pulled it out. However, there was still no life at the compressor. When you press the AC button in the cab, the RPM changes suggesting the computer has decided that the AC can run.

My thought here is that either a fuse has gone (but none of the labelled ones, I checked), there is some condition that is not being met and the computer is denying the request or a connection has come loose during another job, I have replaced the coils on the front of the engine, the plug leads (including the rear ones that go under the plenum), the timing belt and the alternator (I list them so you know where I have been messing)

Any ideas or do I need to take the car and have it diagnosed?

Thanks

Anthony

Reply to
Anthony Toft

Shep

It was 95-100 degrees while I was measuring, I will get a vacuum drawn on it, but I want to make sure that the AC is fundamentally working when I take it to the people.

Now for a little additional information, first thing this morning, I tested the button in the cab and it worked, it blew cold for about 5-10 minutes, after which time it stopped, it would not start again. This afternoon, it would not start either, however unlike this morning, the temp guage was above the lower rest.

I suspecting the coolant temperature sensor that is shown on the same circuit diagram as the rest of the AC electrical, however the dash guage is reading normal ranges. I am going to switch out the temp sensor when the car has cooled down tomorrow.

Reply to
Anthony Toft