95 Pontiac GrandPrix cooling fan problem

the radiator cooling fan on this 95 GrandPrix w/ the 3100 will not run unles you turn on the A/C. What I can't seem to find is a temp sending unit that works the fan, is it ran by a relay or what ? I know this sounds stupid but, I'm used to just changing the temp. sending unit on the themostat housing and being done with it this is my first front-wheel drive car and how they wire these things is unknown to me at this time.

Reply to
DanB.

Is it overheating? If not don't worry about it. It is Febuary after all and the fan may only be coming on due to demand of the system, not due to demand of heat.

Reply to
FBR

If the fan comes on when you turn on the A/C, you know at least

2 things. The relay is good, and the fan is good. The computer uses the temp switch located by the thermostat to control the cooling fan. You also have a temp switch for the dash guage/light that is located at the rear of the right cylinder head. You would need to run the engine until the temp climbed to about 108C to be able to see if the computer is turning on the cooling fan.

If you are not overheating...don't worry about it. In cooler weather, the cooling fan will often not come on in normal driving.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Thanks again guys