'96 Bonneville SE

Hey again everyone. I haven't been in here for a while, as I opted to make the mistake of buying an Oldsmobile instead of a Pontiac. Well, that did prove to be a mistake, as I don't like the Cutlass Supreme at all, so...I just bought a '96 Bonneville SE. The dealer said it has keyless entry as an option, but it didn't come with any remotes. Is there any way I can tell if they car came with this option? Was it standard back in '96 on the SE's? Also, it has the basic SE dash, and I always loved the SSE dash better, so can I buy a '96 SSE dash, pop it in and it will work? I know on my old '91 Grand Prix, it had 95% of the options the GP's came with at the time, but all the options it didn't have, the wires were in place for, as were all sensors (for things such as the Driver Info Center, and Heads Up Display), where as you could buy the components, and the wiring was all there for you to just plug and play. Is it the same on the '96 Bonneville SE's?

Thanks again everyone!!

Reply to
80 Knight

Check the RPO codes in the glove box.

I know Bonnevilles pretty well. (92SSE/98SE) As much money and work as you would have to spend doing this it would be easier to just buy a SSE. (ps watch for coolant consumption)

Reply to
Bon·ne·vil

Gotcha, thanks.

I usually like the SSE's better then the SE's, but I am in a small town in Ontario, and it is hard to find a decent SSE from the 94 to 97 range that I was looking at. Most of the SSE's I found within a 2 hour range of myself had over 300,000 KM's and were falling apart. In fact, it was only by chance that I found the SE that I did find. Another thing is that this SE has all the power toys, including wheel controls. No sunroof (I can get by without that) and no leather (I didn't really care too too much for it in my '91 and '90 SSE's) but other then that, this one seems to be optioned quite well. Also, SE is a lot better on insurance for a 25 year old driver then an SSE. :)

Will do, espically since the car has over 258,000 KM's (not miles lol) on it.

Thanks for the info :)

Reply to
80 Knight

That means in the U.S. where I live here in Iowa, it would probably have somewhere around 155,000 miles I think. Off topic: I just spent $70 on my Pontiac 6000 for heater hoses, radiator hoses, a water outlet gasket, and blah, blah, blah. 123,000 miles. (205,000kms in Canada or something like that.)

Reply to
Travis King

I think I gave you the wrong location. Check the trunk, spare tire cover. They keep moving these things on me.

Reply to
Bon·ne·vil

Ahh yes. The good 'ol 6000. My father has owned around 4 or 5 of those cars. I liked all of them, and we kept the last 3 until they had so many KM's on them and the body was so bad that they were not able to drive anymore. Good cars for the most part though.

Reply to
80 Knight

lol No problem. Thanks to your advise I did check the spare tire cover, and there it was. Thanks again!!

Reply to
80 Knight

"Bon·ne·ville" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news-server.woh.rr.com...

You seem to be an expert on Bonnie's, so I shall ask you these questions: Do you know of any websites with information on upgrading an SE to an SSE? As I said, I like the SSE's dash and what not. My SE already has auto climate controls, but they don't work properly. The last time I was in the car tonight was about an hour ago, and the Temp reading on Auto climate control was around 133 F. It also flashes all the time, and, as you can tell, gives the wrong Temp reading. I read once a procedure for getting codes or whatnot out of a '94or so Bonneville's auto temp control to see what was wrong with it. Something like pressing the OFF and TEMP UP buttons at the same time. I tried all that on mine, and it didn't do anything. Do I have to have the OBDII read to find out why the Temp gauge is flashing and displays the wrong temp? Second thing (I always ask this when I get a new car), is there anything you would recommend doing to my '96 SE? I always do something's to it when I get a new car. I have changed the oil and filter (I used partly synthetic oil cause I got it for a great price lol), checked the air filter (looked fine, and was probably replaced for the car to pass it's Ontario Emission Test), and I just replaced the fuel filter a few days ago, along with a broken fuel line. The gas that came out of the old fuel filter was the nastiest color I have ever seen. Back to the point lol What do you recommend doing to this car? It has over

266,000 KM's (so around 160,000 miles (?)), and it runs awesome. All the options work, and its in pretty good shape for that many KM's, and 9 years of Ontario winter's. Last thing...Can you tell me where the damned PCV valve is on this car? I got directions to it from AutoZone, but I cant find the damned thing, and I always like to change them too.

Thanks for any help you can give me. :)

Reply to
80 Knight