96 grand am Air bag light stay on.

I have a 1996 Pontiac Grand Am se 6cy 3.1. the air bag light just came on this morning when I started my the car to go to work, it usually just flashes for a bit then goes off. but this time it stays on, I checked the air bag 10 amp fuse in the fuse box and it's ok. I need to know what the problem might be. I have,nt hit anything to deploy the airbag or anything like that. It's been raining alot the past week here, could water in some of circuitry be the problem?. If anybody knows the answer to this problem please repley to this post. Your prompt replies will be appriciated.

Thank You

Reply to
A clif

When the SIR light stays on, it means the self-diagnostic program in the air bag controller has diagnosed something wrong with the system.

Your air bags will be inoperative if you don't get the system fixed. It will not harm the operation of the rest of the car. Bob K

Reply to
Robert Klauka

I'd crash into a tree or something to see if it still works.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

(in the voice in the Heinekan commercials....) BRILLIANT!!

lol GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh