My brothers' 96 Grand Am positive battery terminal melted a couple days
ago. We replaced it but I see more trouble ahead. The cable looked bad to
me. Do you have to replace the entire wiring harness ?
He's recently replaced battery and alternator.
Sounds like a dead short to me. I'd check the entire cable and look for
someplace that the insulation is worn through. On another note check that
the hood or something else isn't getting against the positive post. Power
amp installed? check that too.
The battery wasn't drained, there's just a lot of heat building up in the
cable-wiring harness and it literally melted the lead terminal. There were
just a few strands hanging on.
No power amp, just standard equipment.