96 Pontiac grand am 5 speed manual Transaxle

I have a 96 grand am with a 2.4 and a 5 speed manual transmission. The car won't move when you let out the clutch, but it makes a noise that changes with the gear range you have selected. I think the problem might be in the differential. Must I replace the whole transaxle or can I just fix the differential? Will transaxles from any other cars fit this application? Thanks!

Reply to
kevin

Someone might correct me on this, but I think if I remember that if you completely shell out one of your cv joints on a front wheel drive car, you get this same symptom. I.E. all the power goes to the wheel that has become disconnected due to a total failure of the cv joint and the car won't move. Then again it could be something internal to the transmission/differential. I've had 2 5-speed Grand Ams an 88 and a 96. The kids knocked a hole in the one on the 88 after 250k miles. The manual trans axles are virtually impossible to find.

BS

Reply to
Ben Snoozin