96 Sunfire electrical

1996 Sunfire 2dr. Recently, after stopping and shutting engine off, and with the driver door open to get out, I have been smelling what seems like the odor of hot wiring and hot insulation. No smoke (yet) and I can't localize the source of the odor. I think the only things active with the door open are the courtesy (dome) light and the sensor that detects whether the key is in the ignition (it's not). I've tried this with fan/heater off, radio off etc. Nothing detectable under the hood either. Seems like it could be a short somewhere, but nothing has changed or been done to the vehicle. Anyone else have this one; any suggestions?

Chuck Reti Detroit MI

Reply to
Chuck Reti