96 Sunfire Radio display Lamp

96 Sunfire - Standard OEM Cassette/AM/FM or CD/AM/FM deck.

Has anyone ever replaced the lamp that illuminates the display? Even if anyone knew the voltage rating of the lamp, I could probably find an alternate that would work.

i.e. is it the full dash light voltage applied through the deck (14V minus dash dimmer resistance) or does the deck further reduce the voltage?

Or does anyone know of a supplier that supplies the bulb/socket part?

TIA, Mike

Reply to
Mike

id be very suprised if it isn't 12v, the odometer backlight on my 99 sunfire was

Reply to
M.C. Tee

Reply to
Scott

in case anyone also needs to make the same repair ......

I've been to all the normal places to try (Dealer, Auto Parts stores of many varieties, Radio Shack, a few specific Car Audio places, etc) The story I get is that the private contractor that does all audio repairs for Pontiac (other also I'm sure) will not even sell the bulbs to any auto audio stores. One car audio place even gave me the name, address and phone number of the contractor that does the repairs - including fixing this very common display problem on the sunfire displays. No luck there - of course they want me to bring in the unit for them to repair. They say they need to replace the circuit board to get rid of the minor corrosion on the board that causes it to loose contact, to avoid the problem again in the future. All very true information, but of course at a price I was not willing to pay, and I did not fell necessary. I could have bought a half descent after market unit for the price they wanted.

Further investigation with a multi meter and a variable DC power supply, I was able to confirm it is in fact a 12 V lamp. Although it is a twist out socket that it fits in, it is not a standard dash light, as the bulb is not push in, or screw in, but rather it has two pig tail wires that are soldered into the socket.

I only still did not know the wattage or brightness rating of the original lamp. Another trip to Radio shack turned up 2 different 12 V bulbs, with pig tail wires, and small enough to fit sort of into the socket. One indicated it was a very bright light 20W, the other 1.5mA. As the original did not seem too bright, even at 14 V, I went with the 1.5mA. I was able to solder its pig tails directly to the circuit board after pulling the wires through the socket in the board. The bulb just kind of hangs there, by the wires, but it nicely did the trick. Once again I can see the display.

If anyone else needs to do this repair, and has the necessary tools to solder to the circuit board, I can get the exact number of the Radio Shack Bulb I used.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

same as i did with my odometer, took it apart and soldered it on, easy fix, i used a bulb that was a little too bright though, but not big deal

Reply to
M.C. Tee