97 Grand AM 2.4 4 cly Crank Position Sensor location

I have a 97 Grand Am and have a code that says the Crank Position Sensor is bad. It has a 2.4 liter engine with a auto trans. I have been told that the sensor is located above oil filter on front of engine. I have pulled the alternator to get a better look but still cant locate the dang thing. I have the new sensor so I know what Im looking for. Can anyone give me a little more information? What do I have to pull to get to it? Is it above the starter (Pull the starter)? Is it behind the dampner pully (Pull the passanger tire, splash guard, and pully)? One guy even told me it was behind the back end of the engine, fireall side, by the transaxel case. I have had good luck on here getting good info hope it works again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
97 jimmy

Click on the little picture of the engine compartment to get a more detailed view.

Jim

Reply to
George Jetson

Took a look at the pictures and they dont show my engine, or the location of the Crank Position sensor

Reply to
97 jimmy

Then you're obviously too stupid to work on a car. Take it to a professional mechanic.

Jim

Reply to
George Jetson

George Jetson

Okay, there is a bracket/brace right above your oil filter on a 2.4l that bracket will onstruct your veiw othe the CKP sensor....just above and slightly to the right of where your oil filter screws on.....to make it easier remove the oil filter. 1- 10mm bolt holds the sensor to the block..

Reply to
MrGoodwrench

Thanks for the great info. I was able to find and change it out and now the car runs fine.

Reply to
97 jimmy