97 grand am convert from 2.4 to 3.8 series2 with trans

I currently have a 97 2.4 auto that has quit running. Actually, it barely runs and when it does run it is rough. The engine has had a history of overheating. Replaced water pump at dealer. Questioned oil light comming on intermitantly. Dealer looked at for the last time and said the engine needed to be replaced. Metal shavings in the oil. Oil pump overlooked? Engine has 90K. Have decided to replace with a used engine, which has turned out to be a hard find. I found a complete 3.8 ser 2 with 90K. I have seen alot on intake problems, but aside from that I would like to follow this lead. Can I replace the 2.4 with the 3.8? The trans and c.v. joints are available with the 3.8.

Please explain why or why not this will work.

BTK

Reply to
btk

Unfortunately, this is not 1965... :( It CAN be done but will cost several times what the car is worth. That engine and trans combo was never meant to be in that car. You will be replacing essentially everything from the front seat forward and between the outer fenders and bumper skin. The easiest way would be to cut off the front of the G/A and weld on the front of whatever car the 3800 was in, complete with dash and electronics.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=A0Paul=A0?=

Thanks for your reply. I guess I still am in the 60's and 70's. I had a couple of restores. One was a 1969 f150 and a 1986 f250 4x4. You could say I have been out of the loop for ahwile. I'll stick with finding a 2.4. Hate to rebuild new because as you say the car's value is not there. Such a shame because the rest of the car is up to date and practically flawless. Great first car for a new driver.

Reply to
btk

G/A's are comfortable cars to drive. Too bad the engines are not very good. To replace your 2.4 with the 3.8 would mean using the 3.8 springs, wiring harness, electronics, exhaust, radiator, etc. I have a 3.3 in my 92 G/A. IMO, it's one of the best engines gm ever made. (It is essentially a small 3.8). IMO, the 3.1 and

3.4 are two of the worst engines gm ever made.
Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=A0Paul=A0?=

The 3.1 is just a "worn out" 2.8 - and the 2.8 was junk.

Reply to
clare

Yes. Not many of them around any more.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=A0Paul=A0?=

Well, you're right and wrong.

The part about the dash electronics etc. is pretty accurate, but since the L67's automatically perform a calibration sweep when the car starts, it's not TOO hard to make it work. I mean, Fiero guys have been doing this swap for about 4-5 years, and N-body tuners have started to pick up on this in a big way.

As far as the springs/suspension goes, most cars (with the exception of possibly the Pontiac Firefly and Honda Civic) can handle the extra weight up front, and since the N-bodies were designed to use closely related engines (like the 3100, 3300, and 3400) getting in a 3800 even with a supercharger won't be that big of a task for an experienced mechanic. BTW, the steering rack and column will carry and clear the engine (respectively) without any problems. The 3800 II's and S/C's are only about 200-300 pounds heavier than the 3100/3300's, so essentially the springs are only going to be springing the weight of one or two extra persons.

Yes, you'll need mounts, and a goodly amount of electronics (including the ECU, Harness) and a new fuel pump (I don't remember exactly what kind of fuel system the 2.4 uses, but it's most likely the same type as the 3800) and probably a front sway bar to compensate for the extra

200 pounds, but you should be okay.

Welding in an eniter clip is totally not feasible, unless you enjoy that "needlessly wide-bodied" look. Also, unless you've never bothered to check, the Grand Prix/Regal dash won't fit inside the Grand Am of that Generation... well, it won't fit with the doors closed! ;)

What I'm saying is that it indeed CAN be done, but it is not easy, nor quick. If you're looking for a replacement 2.4l Twin Cam engine, there are pre-built motors (I believe at least) available from

The other possibility is from
Definitely the 2.4 is the easier and less costly route. The oil pump and water pump are known problem areas with those engines, so I'm not surprised in the least that they're giving you problems. there are alternatives, but basically, Mobil1 every oil change and using only DexCool coolant will keep the engine purring (but what do I know.. my last N-body was a grand am SE with a 2.4 and over 200K km).

If you want to continue with the L67 swap, I'd check

for details. Don't mind the front-page pictures, they're usually the more unusual pictures ;)

Reply to
Kmikl

Thanks for the tips. I decided to just get a USED'95' 2.4. 80k and we drove it home 150miles. The engine checked ok fluids pressure ect.... I now think I will install a new oil pump per your response. The thought crossed my mind earlier, but then after driving home I thought why bother. Car was purchased from a dealer and after just two weeks it got t-boned and spun around. Occupants ok, but lots of damage to sides and rear of car. Front clip is perfect. All I will use is the engine. Interior is great and two rear doors are fine. Such a shame for them the car ran great.

thanks,

BTK

Reply to
btk