97 Grand Am ignition

I can't get my ignition switch to turn all the way off. The key is stuck. I've tried putting it back park several times and nothing. My battery is dead now that the ignition won't trun off. What could the problem be? HELP?

Reply to
chilipepper317

Is the car standard or automatic? If standard, is their a button on the steering column near the ignition switch? Automatic, try turning the wheel left and right while trying to turn the key back. If that doesn't work, while the engine is off, try shifting the shift lever back and forth while tryng to turn the key back.

Reply to
Mike

There's probably a problem with the device on the shifter which allows you to remove the key. It may be a cable or electrical switch.

Reply to
hyundaitech

There is an electrical solenoid on the shifter of the automatic that controls the release of the key from the cylinder. If it is the problem, you will have to replace the whole shifter because the solenoid is not replacable.

Reply to
scogod2003