97 Grand Am runs rich

Hi

I noticed my car had a severe hesitation and lack of power when I stepped on the gas last week.It's got a 2.4 with 150000 miles on it. I took it to AutoZone and had the codes read. They came up P0107 and P0172. When I looked them up the first one was MAP sensor circuit low input and the second was System adaptive fuel too rich. I changed the sensor and replaced two vacuum hoses, no change.... The problems still there but my idle has smoothed out. I can drive the car as long as I don't go over 2500 rpms but there is soot inside the tailpipe now from my trip to the parts store and back. Has anyone else had this problem before? Thanks for any input.

Richard Fortuna

Reply to
Richard Fortuna

Three or four thoughts come to mind:

Very dirty air filter or air intake otherwise obstructed (collapsed hose; throttle plate slipping on the shaft) Throttle position sensor out of whack Leaking fuel injector(s) Possibly an oxygen sensor telling falsehoods

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Check the fuel pressure regulator. They go bad and let raw fuel into the intake. Burns out catcons in just a couple of days.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

I had the same prob in my '95 16-valve. Turned out to be a short in the O2 sensor. Not only did it hesitate and blow black smoke out the rear on accleration over 80kmh, but it stuttered in cruise as well. Took months to find out, and of course no compensation by Goodwrench for all the bucks put into service and parts that weren't necessary...

Reply to
JustBCause